I thought someone might know the answer to this and save me doing any research.

If I want to make video files available to someone (for example, email them the files) so that they can watch them, but not upload them to websites, how should I go about it?

I thank you.

P.S. Apologies to mongo if any of my terminology is wrong (and for knowing nothing about music or football).

• Like 1

Assuming they're too large to email, you could try Dropbox. You and the recipient each download Dropbox and create a shared folder. You put the video in the folder and it is available to your partner through the cloud.

I think Amazon also has a similar cloud service.

If the video files are small enough, you might be able to just email them. Gmail, for example, allows 25 MB, but if they don't use Gmail, that could bounce on their end if their host only allows smaller limits.

The way I like to send big files is through Dropbox. Dropbox is a "cloud storage" service that gives you 2GB of storage for free (and more for more money). Dropbox supports a "Public" folder where you can place files, get an URL to that file and then you can share that link in an email.

But, that might be a bit to fancy for a one-off send. If you just want to send a single file very occasionally, you can try DropSend. They have a free service that let's one send files up to 2 GB in size 5 times a month. If you need to send more, you just pay them. I think there are others like this out there (YouSendIt?), but I've used DropSend in the past. It's fast and easy as you just paste in To, From, and choose the file.

Note, though, no matter what, you have to upload the file. Either attaching it onto an email or with a service like above, your file needs to be on the cloud to be downloaded. The way around that is the infinite-bandwidth, high-latency method of file transfer: sending a flash drive through the mail.

Okay, no.

Sending them isn't the problem.

I just don't want the recipient to be able to upload them to their own website.

Whoops. I got caught in latency. Hmm, so you want them to be able to view the files but not download them? I'd say a private YouTube upload is best for that. Note: there are still ways to capture a YouTube video, but if the recipient isn't that savvy, they might not try.

No, I want them to be able to download the files to their own computer. I just don't want them to be able to upload them to a public website.

If that's impossible, then I have my answer.

For example, if I buy a brand new movie as a download, there is nothing the copyright owner can do to prevent me uploading it to a website (other than threaten legal action)?

No, I want them to be able to download the files to their own computer. I just don't want them to be able to upload them to a public website.

If that's impossible, then I have my answer.

For example, if I buy a brand new movie as a download, there is nothing the copyright owner can do to prevent me uploading it to a website?

No, in that case, the very large corporation is probably using DRM. Most likely, the file has a signature that gets tested against some remote server or some key on your computer. Since only your computer has that key or your IP address is allowed access to that file, only you can view it. But DRM like that isn't really doable for us regular folk. I imagine it is quite pricey.

Oh, and since that file has a signature unique to you, if you upload it, they know it's your file that was uploaded! And then come the subpoenas!