Gwynnett St.

I asked what kind of duck it was and the waitress came back with the unlikely answer that it was wild duck from Hudson Valley. Decided to drop it at that point.

Probably Lola duck from HVFG with the description lost in translation somewhere between the farm and FOH?

Much larger than Lola.

Ah. Didn't see that picture above.

Interestingly, I was looking at Corton's menu, and they are running "Wild Rohan Duck."

Could this be it? Not really sure what's wild about, "Rohan duck is raised cage-free and fed a diet of corn and soy," but it sounds like it could be nice.

http://www.dartagnan.com/57600/Rohan-Duck.html

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

so this is a relatively new restaurant in Williamsburg where the kitchen is run by a WD-50 alum and the wine and maybe the rest of the service is courtesy of someone from Esca. not sure what was in t

Uh-oh response (for the record)

I asked what kind of duck it was and the waitress came back with the unlikely answer that it was wild duck from Hudson Valley. Decided to drop it at that point.

Probably Lola duck from HVFG with the description lost in translation somewhere between the farm and FOH?

Much larger than Lola.

Interestingly, I was looking at Corton's menu, and they are running "Wild Rohan Duck."

Could this be it? Not really sure what's wild about, "Rohan duck is raised cage-free and fed a diet of corn and soy," but it sounds like it could be nice.

http://www.dartagnan...Rohan-Duck.html

Could be. Mostly I'm surprised that an old set of kitchen problems (overcooking, undercooking, pre-cooking) seem to have been replaced with a new set of problems (mushy texture, weird texture, skin and fat removed entirely from breast and not crisped and glued back...).

http://www.dartagnan.com/57600/Rohan-Duck.html

I tried some of D'Artagnan's rohan duck at the International Restaurant Show, and it was nice.

Penultimate picture here if you scroll down.

Is it really Rouen duck (domesticated colvert) that they've renamed for some marketing reason?

eta: here's what D'A says:

He’s our new duck! Exclusively ours! The

D’Artagnan Rohan™ is a proprietary hybrid of several duck breeds including the Heritage Mallard and the Pekin, and is raised just for us on a farm in New York State.

The duck is named after a family of dukes and princes who lived in the Rohan area of Brittany, France, and made the name, and a native duck, famous. The Rohan boasts juicy, tender, rose-colored meat with a mild taste that lends itself to practically every duck recipe.

Much larger than Lola.

http://www.dartagnan...Rohan-Duck.html

Could be. Mostly I'm surprised that an old set of kitchen problems (overcooking, undercooking, pre-cooking) seem to have been replaced with a new set of problems (mushy texture, weird texture, skin and fat removed entirely from breast and not crisped and glued back...).

I think a lot of sous-vide duck is also brined with sel rose pre-cooking (the color is kind of nasty without it), so you get a double-whammy for producing weird/mushy textures.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoever thought of sous-viding poultry (and duck in particular) should rot in hell.

Chef Humm sous vides the turkey he serves at Thanksgiving dinner. Finishes it in the oven to crisp the skin. It's one of the most delicious turkeys we've ever had. Very moist, flavorful breast meat that is not at all mushy. Of course, he doesn't do his duck that way.

In the absence of Oakapple, I'll note that Gwynnett St. is probably the kind of restaurant Wells would simply decline to review if he wasn't going to give it a favorable write-up. (Like Allswell only made it to "Dining Briefs".) So I think the fact they're getting reviewed (if it is a fact) is pretty great for them.