What's Good Now in DC

I much prefer Estadio to Jaleo. The thing is that the area around Metro Center is essentially comparable to midtown-Manhattan. It is not a dining center but much more of an expense account/tourist dining area.

DC has improved dramatically in the past 5 years. The good restaurants are really spread out though...(with that said 14th street heading up to U street definitely has the best quality restaurant density).

Komi soon, Serow again soon. Been doing a lot of cooking though.

• Like 1
  • Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've done a fair amount of eating in DC (and drinking...disappointedly...except for one decent cocktail bar in Old Town Alexandria) over the years but I'm now moving to the area in the next couple mon

I ate there a few years ago. I remember thinking it was just okay. Maybe it's different now--I remember some sort of inside-out meatball app. But he might like it.

Restaurant Nora was disappointing. As was an Italian place on Connecticut, just above the zoo.

• 2 weeks later...

Alba Osteria. Roberto Donna's new digs (the dude who used to be the chef at Galileo). ostensibly Piedmontese in focus. It's not. certainly no Manzo. pan-Italian really. large number of primi, small number of pastas and secondi, big section of Neopolitan pizzas. wine list is adequate, cocktails looked awful (blast from the 90's crap). they're still working out the oven on the pizza...I wouldn't bother with that right now...crust and bottom wasn't right. but it was their first week. primi were all good...cauliflower/anchovy thing was best. veal carpaccio too.

http://albaosteriadc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/januaryDinner.pdf

agnolotti with beef and bone marrow was fine but the gnocchi (sausage ragu) was fricking fantastic...in terms of texture think really good gnudi. I'd go back just for that.

service was sweet and thoroughly jacked up (it was their first week)....they also comped extra dishes and dessert. so no complaints.

this could be a winner...in the early days I'd say it's on par with Graffiato...but it's more ambitious and has more potential. oh, and prices are totally reasonable. negative is that it's kind of in the middle of nowhere....

I had some awful meals at gallileo, including a meal in the labratorio that was the most expensive meal I'd had for a long time. a few things were great, including a labratorio dish they brought out to the restaurant in the front because they'd fucked something up. (labratorio was a small restaurant in the back of gallileo that was tasting menu only and roberto donna "cooked" everything in front of you.)

• 2 weeks later...

a couple notes:

Rose's Luxury is still whimsical and good. they need to chill the glassware for the (otherwise good) cocktails though. the new fried chicken might be the best boneless tender style I've ever had (ok, it's definitely the best boneless I've had)...will be interesting to compare with the more traditional (?) fried chicken at Yardbird in a couple weeks.

the game items at the Army Navy Club are interesting..only menu of that type I've seen in DC. will try the elk tenderloin and maybe some squab on the next visit. rack of wild boar was good...served over polenta. veal breast with a foie gras reduction over pappardelle (a massive portion) was ultimately just too insanely rich.

• 1 month later...

btw, Del Campo,....I'd rather eat here than any official DC steakhouse.

Del Campo is really a steakhouse...just a Latin Americanish one....with an emphasis on grilling and smoke across the menu.

for example: at the start your bread (served in a skillet) comes with smoked salt and smoked olive oil. had a bottled pisco "negroni" (with Carpano Antica and Gran Classico), where the bartender burned some kindling into a glass to smoke it. it was a fantastic drink (not sure the smoke added much but it didn't need to)...Sneakeater, you'd love it.

actual meats are served simply and properly cooked. prices are steakhouseish...though some sides (the house chorizo and empanadas are all good) and the cocktails ($12 for that pisco negroni) are quite reasonable.

CityPaper reports on a "rating the critics" workbook for restaurants. Sounds like a good idea.

For about two years, a handbook with photos of and details about D.C.'s food critics and writers has been quietly circulating among a handful of upscale restaurants in town. Its author, who shared the document on the condition of anonymity, tells me he created it to better equip managers, maitre d's, servers, and hosts to recognize people in the local food media and to understand their writing styles and preferences. The document is very detailed, covering writers' personalities, likes, dislikes, and even rating their food knowledge and writing ability. It also suggests what kind of server should wait on them.

I asked my niece, who was a hostess at Old Ebbitt Grill in the early 2000s. She said she was unfamiliar with the document, but that a large portion of diners were regulars whom the restaurant already knew. With their preferred servers, drinks, etc in the reservation profile at the stand.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/youngandhungry/2014/03/04/this-secret-document-helps-d-c-restaurants-keep-tabs-on-food-writers/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...