What's Good Now in DC

The Dabney still great.

Indeed. Just a lovely meal all around. Great space (with great a/c for DC). Food was all delicious. Service was fun. Wine list was nice. Is this moderate still? $250 before tax + tip ($107 for wine).

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've done a fair amount of eating in DC (and drinking...disappointedly...except for one decent cocktail bar in Old Town Alexandria) over the years but I'm now moving to the area in the next couple mon

I ate there a few years ago. I remember thinking it was just okay. Maybe it's different now--I remember some sort of inside-out meatball app. But he might like it.

Restaurant Nora was disappointing. As was an Italian place on Connecticut, just above the zoo.

The Dabney still great.

Indeed. Just a lovely meal all around. Great space (with great a/c for DC). Food was all delicious. Service was fun. Wine list was nice. Is this moderate still? $250 before tax + tip ($107 for wine).

What did you have? I think The Dabney is probably the best southern revival food north of Nashville.

How was Tail Up Goat?

The Dabney still great.

What did you have? I think The Dabney is probably the best southern revival food north of Nashville.

How was Tail Up Goat?

A propos: Have you listened to John T. Edge in an Eater interview, talking about the "cultural appropriation" of Southern food?

How was Tail Up Goat?

Jesus - we ate like pigs.

Charred Eggplant Dip with corn chips

Whipped Lardo with grilled ciabatta, pickles

Grilled Radicchio with bacon, hush puppies, green tomato

Scallops with creamed corn, pickled blueberries, horseradish, peppers

Grilled lobster with grits, pickled ramps, nasturtium

Cauliflower with Maryland blue crab, wild arugula

Pork Belly with lightly pickled cucumbers

Bloody butcher cornbread (the baby one)

Side of Carolina Gold rice

Peach and blueberry Crostata with buttermilk ice cream

chocolate pot de crème, cherry compote, & benne ice cream

Fantastic stuff, and I think we did Sneakeater proud.

Tail Up Goat has a great summer of Riesling thing going on - a sort-of homage to Grieco. But the food is not at nearly the same level as The Dabney's.

We shared and enjoyed a house made pasta primavera with trout roe. For our main, whole grilled and stuffed porgy for 2, in aqua pazza. The porgy was nicely cooked, but the bomba rice it was stuffed with was soggy, and placing the grilled fish on the aqua pazza made that skin side no fun to eat.

I wish we'd gone back to The Dabney instead.

The Dabney still great.

How was Tail Up Goat?

A propos: Have you listened to John T. Edge in an Eater interview, talking about the "cultural appropriation" of Southern food?

No I haven't but I'll look for it. I think he's friends with Currence too?

Fantastic meal indeed. Wish I could go back with you!

35184435554_f53d27f5ef.jpg

Lardo with pickled mustard sees, onions, grilled ciabatta.

35184433134_8c227a70e6.jpg

Charred eggplant dip.

35634466110_9c7dac8039.jpg

Radicchio, hush puppies, green tomatoes, bacon.

35852687692_e6dc93d9e2.jpg

Scallops, creamed corn, pickled blueberries.

35852688182_b788b8b80c.jpg

Cape May lobster and grits.

35852694522_342a864b41.jpg

Pork belly, cucumber, grits.

35852695602_d6d81c571b.jpg

Crostata.

35634472750_43917e3933_z.jpg

• Like 1

<snip>

No I haven't but I'll look for it. I think he's friends with Currence too?

I figure everybody who's anybody in Southern food knows John T. Or surely knows of him.

• 2 months later...

Is Barcelona still the kind of place people over the age of 70 who are not Eurotrash or scene-y people will feel uncomfortable? They have sobrasada (maybe) and I love sobrasada. And if the paella is any good, I'm sure my companions will enjoy it.

I looked at Estadio's menu, too and it looks OK, but Barcelona's appeals to me a bit more. I'm not just interested in loud music, or places where all the beautiful people eat.

And Little Serow - is it still really busy? We wouldn't have a problem dining early, as we are all old and need time for our food to digest before bedtime, but I don't[ think my companions would be willing (or able) to stand in line for too long. Failing Little Serow, are there any non-Northern Thai restaurants worth trying?

Similarly, has anyone tried Bad Saint? Or Purple Patch? Not sure if my companions will be keen on trying them, especially since one will have recently returned from the Philippines, and two will be leaving shortly for extended stays there. But we're always curious about Filipino food as served outside the Philippines. I see that Purple Patch has Filipino breakfast, but $14 for tocilog or longsilog?!?!?!

Also planned, Mason Dixie Biscuits, DGS Delicatessen, Patisserie Poupon (one can never have too many kouign amann).

I think if there's one "deli" to try, it's Stachowski Market.

I like the coffee (good enough) at Dolcezza, and the gelato is very good. Qualia Coffee up in Petworth is worthy.

Union Market is fun (especially good are the Rappahannock Oysters), and the Sunday farmer's market at Dupont Circle is usually pretty damn good.

All added to my google maps! I'm happy to hear at least one farmer's market will be open. I had looked at a couple (USDA, for example), but they would have been closed for the season during our trip. And the website shows Patisserie Poupon is at Dupont Circle Farmer's market, too. One can never have too many kouign amann!