That's the kind of thing, thanks. I have a list of historic bars and a book (Pale Horse, Pale Rider). Sadly I think Tristan the 50 cent hot dog guy has retired his cart. The Wazee Supper Club tempts.

• Like 3
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am going to be in Denver for four or five days in early July. Any recommendations for restaurants and other attractions would be welcomed. The Yves St Laurent show at the art museum is already on my

That's the kind of thing, thanks. I have a list of historic bars and a book (Pale Horse, Pale Rider). Sadly I think Tristan the 50 cent hot dog guy has retired his cart. The Wazee Supper Club tempts.

I like Rioja.

Wazee was bought out by the Wynkoop group awhile back. They've fucked up pretty much every place they've locked onto, so I avoid it. Euclid hall, mentioned a few times up thread is pretty great. I love the kielbasa and the cheddar spatzel. Avoid their attempts at Asian, they are poorly conceived. The beer there is the thing, and I'm not a huge beer fan, but always find something that I love.

My Brother's Bar- this is an old tavern, old school. No signage, and the long time bartenders wear full dress (black pants, white button down shirts) and long white aprons. Good enough burger, comes in paper with a funny plastic caddy of condiments. Buffalo burger is good. Oldest liquor license in Denver. Worth a drink, but not food. Easy stroll from downtown. The original Wazees had the same owners.

Wow. Someone actually posting on this forum and I totally missed it. Sorry about that.

We had a pretty mediocre meal at Old Major and the entire staff has turned over, so I would not recommend it. Euclid Hall is OK, but there are so many new places that are serving better food and are not quite as overwhelmingly loud.

There are so many craft brewery places in Denver, that could easily fill up your time. One of our favorites is the Crooked Stave at The Source. The Source is a warehouse/food market that is aspiring to be like the European food halls that we encountered in Scandinavia last summer, in particular, the one in Oslo. There is a butcher shop, wine shop, Boxcar Coffee, and two very good restaurants -- Acorn and Comida. Acorn is the little sister of Oak in Boulder and you really can't go wrong. The cocktail program is award winning. Bryan Dayton, one of the co-owners has won many awards and is an all around great guy. You can also go to the butcher shop, get salumi and cheese and set yourself up at Crooked Stave and run through their beers with tasting sizes. Most of the beers tend toward the sour side, which we really like.

We also love the beers at Black Shirt Brewing in the Rino District. Put your name in at The Populist down the street and have a beer at Black Shirt until they call you. The Populist serves great food and their tasting menu is a screaming deal -- $70 for two!! That is not a typo. $20 pp for alcohol pairings that will include large format beers and interesting wines. I would say this is a must visit.

For cheap eats, try Uncle for delicious ramen or Pinche Taqueria in the Highlands. You will want to spend some time just walking around the Highlands neighborhood, across a pedestrian bridge from downtown. Little Man Ice cream, Linger restaurant (in an old mortuary), My Brothers Bar is nearby, as is Colt and Grey.

In downtown, we have two known serial restauranteurs, Troy Guard and Frank Bonanno. Troy Guard's newest place, Guard and Grace is getting great early reviews. I enjoy his TAG Raw Bar for lunch. It's a little counter joint right on Larimer where all the food is either raw or a la plancha. No atmosphere whatsoever. Bonnano's Russell's Smokehouse on Larimer, has great pulled pork and fried chicken, along with craft cocktails. It is down the stairs, a little hard to find, but very worth it.

Not food related, but you should try and get to the Clyfford Still museum.

Sadly, I am waiting for my flight out of Denver just as I am catching up with this thread. I did find a place called Cheeky Monk with hundreds of beers including a bunch of Mikkellers.

I'll report more later, but I can happily report that I went to the Clyfford Still museum twice.

I confess I was doing a dive bar crawl, and that stretch is well dodgy. Cheeky Monk very upmarket compared with competition and the owners seem to be fitting out another place nearby.

Anyone with fond memories of the Holiday Cocktail Lounge would love the Nob Hill Tavern.

The only Voodoo Donuts outside of Portland and they chose that strip of Colfax (a little further down, actually). It would have been perfect during or after your crawl. And yes, in that neighborhood, Cheeky Monk is definitely on the high end of things. Looking forward to the rundown of the rest of your trip.

• 4 weeks later...
Better cocktails were to be had at the Green Russell, a speakeasy with live jazz behind a concealed door in a basement barbecue joint--itself hard to find in the pouring rain--Russell's Smoke House. I ordered the droll Verjus Meredith (rye,, Aperol, verjus, apricot bitters). The best cocktail of the trip, however, came from Ste Ellie, a sleek lounge under the restaurant Colt & Gray. The Prince Valium: Rittenhouse rye, dark rum, house vermouth, orange bitters: dry and grown-up.

PP

Green Russell website

Judging by the cocktail I had with my dinner, the cocktail bar Ste Ellie under Colt & Gray is at least as good. Enjoy!