Another very good meal here. The duck breast was particularly good (and doesn't in any way resemble the famous duck at EMP, in case you were wondering). The suckling pig confit very much resembles the famous suckling pig confit at EMP in the past, though, and the reported from the other side of the table was that it was fantastic.

Once again we had drinks in the Library before a dinner in the Parlour -- and once again the date I took was absolutely smitten with the place.

Snip...

Maybe the quality of the food will decline when Chef Humm stops paying as close attention (although given NoMad's proximity to EMP, I'm sure he'll always at least stop in every night). But for now, it's extremely good. If I were looking for a pure food experience, obviously EMP would be where I'd want to go. But you don't always want to put up with the tiresome menu format and all that fuss and ritual. NoMad, at least for now, is what it is: the best date/upscale socializing place in New York, by a big stretch.

As you already know, Michael and I had dinner at NoMad on Sunday -- our second dinner there as paying guests. Turns out we had the same main course dishes you had: the duck for me and the suckling pig for him. As you said, the duck is totally different from EMP's version but still superb. And the pig -- a more substantial portion than was ever served at EMP -- has lost nothing of its deliciousness on its trip over to B'way. While my smoked trout first course was newly-created for NoMad's menu, the tagliatelle that Michael started with is simiar to a very popular dish that used to be served at EMP during lunch. We both chose the Peanut Butter Palette for dessert, which turned out to be one of our EMP favorites from the past. Again, a larger portion and a slightly less fancy presentation.

I have absolutely no fear that the quality of the food will decline if Chef Humm spends less time at NoMad. Chef de Cuisine Abram Bissel has come over from EMP where he spent a year as the executive sous chef (no chef de cuisine title existed there until recently) while James Kent, now EMP's chef de cuisine, was involved in the Bocuse d'Or competition. Chef Bissel is extremely talented, and he and Chef Humm have put together a very strong team. The fact is that neither Chef Humm nor Chef Bissel was in on Sunday (as well as two Sundays ago when we had dinner there), and NoMad's kitchen performed beautifully.

NoMad

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

NoMad opened to the public on Monday, March 26th. My blog post is about our "Friends & Family" dinner.

Can I cook my food too?

I dined at the bar at the NoMad last fall (I think it was a Saturday night) and the place was like a mosh pit. Nice food though.

There are so many drinks on the menu, it's hard to say without a lot of further exploration. Two visits only scratch the surface.

I've liked or loved every one I've had so far. (So I'd be loath to steer you away from others that are apt to be just as good, or better.)

• 2 weeks later...

We visited last week (blog post here). We loved it, with the odd exception of the $78 chicken for two, which I considered over-priced for what it is. I'd rather have the $22 version at Peels. The cocktails are terrific—the two I tried, anyway.

Except for the lack of tablecloths, this is a full-on luxury palace: an obvious bid for a three-star alternative to the same team's four-star place. Not saying they'll GET three stars, but it's surely what they were aiming for. It's probably what Café Boulud would've been, if it were opening today. Coincidentally, we visited Café Boulud the next evening. It's still wonderful (and not lacking for business), but no sane person would dare open such a place now, which is sad.

The NoMad is big, brash, and over-the-top. You wonder if it'll be sustainable after it's no longer the latest hot place, and Humm starts spending most of his time back at the mother ship.

Comp disclosure: a plateau des fruits de mer and a vegetable mid-course.

I just thought tables were surprisingly available on OT, but duh, I was searching Nomad.

The GM told me that he's been in contact with the owner of the other Nomad. They've seen a big spike in business, as people walk in there thinking its the Humm/Guidara restaurant. Unfortunately, people sometimes turn around and leave, once they realize it's the wrong one.

I just thought tables were surprisingly available on OT, but duh, I was searching Nomad.

They've seen a big spike in business, as people walk in there thinking its the Humm/Guidara restaurant.

How inconsiderate of them, both the guests and Nomad (not NoMad) should know better than that.

ETA - I also imagine they've had more than 1 guest that show up at NoMad saying they booked their reservation through opentable, and demanding that they be seated.

I also imagine they've had more than 1 guest that show up saying they booked their reservation through opentable, and demanding that they be seated.

A related misunderstanding: I received an email promotion for 15 percent off at The NoMad through the end of April. It seemed too good to be true, but I didn't connect it with any other restaurant. The GM said he thinks it's a restaurant in London. Fact is, NoMad is a fairly common name, which with all the money they spent, someone ought to have pointed out.