• 1 month later...
  • Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

NoMad opened to the public on Monday, March 26th. My blog post is about our "Friends & Family" dinner.

Can I cook my food too?

I dined at the bar at the NoMad last fall (I think it was a Saturday night) and the place was like a mosh pit. Nice food though.

NoMad -

I don't see this as a revisit. Mrs. AB had a Foie starter that had been smoked (I think Daisy had this) - just didn't work - overpowered it. Server never walked her through the dish so she missed components stuffed inside of things. Just not well conceived. I had a tagliatelle starter - that was tasty. Why was it tasty? Because what ever sauce it had was 99 44/100ths butter. I mean I'm not complaining - ok I'm totally complaining. Why am I ordering this in a fine dining place. If I had an emulsion break like that I'd apologize as I was serving it. Literally 1/16th on inch of butter in my bowl when I was done.

Mains - Duck was quite good. I had the Morcilla/Squash dish - which tasted good for a bit- but ended up being cloying. I hate cloying. It needed an element to balance it out. I think the Quinoa was supposed to - but not enough.

Desserts, Coffee were fine. Wine was too cold when served but what can you do.

NoMad -

I don't see this as a revisit. Mrs. AB had a Foie starter that had been smoked (I think Daisy had this) - just didn't work - overpowered it. Server never walked her through the dish so she missed components stuffed inside of things. Just not well conceived. I had a tagliatelle starter - that was tasty. Why was it tasty? Because what ever sauce it had was 99 44/100ths butter. I mean I'm not complaining - ok I'm totally complaining. Why am I ordering this in a fine dining place. If I had an emulsion break like that I'd apologize as I was serving it. Literally 1/16th on inch of butter in my bowl when I was done.

Mains - Duck was quite good. I had the Morcilla/Squash dish - which tasted good for a bit- but ended up being cloying. I hate cloying. It needed an element to balance it out. I think the Quinoa was supposed to - but not enough.

Desserts, Coffee were fine. Wine was too cold when served but what can you do.

Agreed. I had the pasta two years ago and again. I wanted it to be more nuanced each time. Eternal hope . . .

• 1 month later...

Friends & family at the new Nomad Bar last night. Separate and distinct from the bar at the Nomad. Entrance is around the corner on 28th Street, but I'm sure there are ways in via various passages, secret bookshelves, etc.

Beautiful, multi-level space. Great cocktails, as to be expected. This is a well-honed team. I really like the lighter cocktails making use of sherries, vermouths, amari, etc. Food was good - a really fine burger, a little-too-salty duck sausage, good baked clams, delicious gougeres.

COMP DISCLOSURE: Well, it was f&f, after all.

• 2 weeks later...