Ryan Sutton one-stars the place, (The NoMad Bar, that is) and is not very happy with the food or value proposition...

And that's too bad because the mediocrity of the savory kitchen, under the authority of chefJames Kent, threatens to overshadow the warm service of general manager Jeffrey Tascarella and the epic drinks of Leo Robitschek.
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

NoMad opened to the public on Monday, March 26th. My blog post is about our "Friends & Family" dinner.

Can I cook my food too?

I dined at the bar at the NoMad last fall (I think it was a Saturday night) and the place was like a mosh pit. Nice food though.

And now the neighborhood seems to be taking its name from the restaurant. In a piece about the Rizzoli bookstore reopening:

Before closing its flagship bookstore on 57th Street in New York City in April, Rizzoli said the store would be back and reminded customers that books are also available through its website. Today Rizzoli, which has had a store in New York City for more than 50 years, announced that the store will return in the spring to a 5,000 sq. ft. location on 26th Street and Broadway in New York’s NoMad neighborhood.

(emphasis added)

Hard to say. The hotel and restaurant were named after the new name the real estate interests were giving the neighborhood (North of Madison Square). They certainly gave it a kick in the butt, though.

Ah. I wasn't aware of that. I didn't realize that it was already a term of real estate art.

I don't pay attention to that kind of thing, except only occasionally to sneer at the blatant attempts to turn sows' ears into silk purses. As I suppose happened there; I still think of that neighborhood as SRO central. When I worked at a restaurant there in the early 2000s, it sure was.

• 1 year later...

Nothing new since 2012? At least not on its own thread, I guess, even if elsewhere.

But: should they be suing Hélène Darroze for theft of intellectual property (the presentation)? Like Mary of Mary's Fish Camp?

This is just idle speculation. I've made dishes in restaurants that were exact copies of a dish my chef learned elsewhere, and no one seemed bothered. I just thought the herbs spilling out of the, um, cavity look as awful in London as they do in NYC.

• 1 month later...