• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

NoMad opened to the public on Monday, March 26th. My blog post is about our "Friends & Family" dinner.

Can I cook my food too?

I dined at the bar at the NoMad last fall (I think it was a Saturday night) and the place was like a mosh pit. Nice food though.

• 3 weeks later...

Cuozzo reviews the Sunday Supper pop up at The NoMad Bar.

On Sunday, Humm and his partner, Will Guidara, launched Mamma Guidara’s, a weekly pop-up at the NoMad Bar. The Swiss-born Humm suavely channels his inner paesano, serving up a juicy and well-crusted chicken parm for two that’s already autumn’s must-have dish, even though it only debuted last weekend.

What a great follow-up to his impassioned defense of Chipotle.

I also love how all the advance press for this made it sound like Guidara's dad had run a mom-and-pop red sauce joint, rather than being the COO of a company with more than 100 restaurants.

To be fair, I don't think that anyone who actually lived in New York at the time thinks that Mama Leone's was a mom-and-pop red sauce joint.

But I guess you're right that the publicity isn't aimed at people who actually lived in New York at the time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Mama Guidaro's", while sensibly priced, shows you just how great Carbone is.

I'll agree, even though we've never been to Carbone.

It might just also show you that "Mama Guidaro's," while sensibly priced, isn't better than Parkside. But we had a great table upstairs, with this view...

31010116112_bf171b0b83.jpg

There's a lot of food, to be sure, so there is price/value. And some of it was pretty good - the cold apps and the hot apps were fine. But stuff was, to my taste, exceedingly salty at times.

Favorite course was dessert, which of course comes after you're too full to fully enjoy them. But the tiramisu was fabulous and the cannoli were nothing to sneeze at either. As to the overall experience, once is certainly enough.

COMP DISCLOSURE: A round of grasshoppers with dessert.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

According to grub street former Times Restaurant critic Frank Bruni, will be the guest chef at the Nomad Bar from February 10th to March 10th, and will focus on Meatloaf-centric dishes. This is just a heads up to avoid the Nomad for the next month :)

"Frank Bruni’s had a successful run in journalism, authoring three best-selling books and holding the posts of both restaurant critic and Rome bureau chief at the New York Times. Now, he’ll take on his biggest assignment yet. Cooking meatloaf at the Nomad Bar. Presumably to celebrate their recently released all-meatloaf-all-the-time book, Bruni and his co-author Jennifer Steinhauer will serve as the restaurant’s next guest chefs.

From February 10 through March 10, they’ll contribute a very meatloaf-centric menu with not one but three variations on the classic dish. There’s Leslie Bruni’s sweet nostalgic loaf with North Carolina–style barbecue sauce, a Greek loaf with lamb and feta, and even cheesy chorizo loaf. There will be, perhaps reluctantly, vegetables, including Moroccan carrots, green beans with lemon and black pepper, and “Helen’s extremely delicious mashed potatoes.” One thing is for sure. This is undoubtedly the first time a former restaurant critic for a major newspaper has gone on to cook meatloaf at an acclaimed restaurant."