ETA: some clarity there. Isn't the question whether it's Tao or Minetta?

yes

But I don't think Sneak would say he wouldn't dine at Minetta alone. And Minetta isn't an especially lavish place. Or showy.

(Looks at carrots and hummus. Thinks of the French Dip four blocks away. Curses pseudonymous Canadian)

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

NoMad opened to the public on Monday, March 26th. My blog post is about our "Friends & Family" dinner.

Can I cook my food too?

I dined at the bar at the NoMad last fall (I think it was a Saturday night) and the place was like a mosh pit. Nice food though.

Perhaps I'm suggesting that we should be actively hostile to the restaurant culture that has people like Daniel Humm opening something Tao for people with an extra ten-years of age and an extra digit on their bank account

Although I've never set foot in Tao, I don't begrudge the place. I remember in the early 2000s, when big-box Asian places were opening every 10 minutes. Eventually, the market found its equilibrium, and many of them closed. Tao isn't for me, but it's clearly for someone.

Perhaps I'm suggesting that we should be actively hostile to the restaurant culture that has people like Daniel Humm opening something Tao for people with an extra ten-years of age and an extra digit on their bank account

Although I've never set foot in Tao, I don't begrudge the place. I remember in the early 2000s, when big-box Asian places were opening every 10 minutes. Eventually, the market found its equilibrium, and many of them closed. Tao isn't for me, but it's clearly for someone.

Wouldn't you prefer the helpless victims who are sent to Tao to be sent somewhere nicer? Do you think it's ethical for hotel concierges and various leisure publications to send them there?

Reads like a Gramercy Tavern, Colicchio & Sons, Veritas sort of New American menu. Am I on the right track? Is that what's boring about it?

Since it was a remark by me that set this off, it may just be my own prejudice: I find that sort of menu boring. So maybe it's my problem, based on my own personal taste.

I personally think NoMad is better than any of the referenced restaurants (except that I haven't eaten in the current iteration of Veritas).

Wouldn't you prefer the helpless victims who are sent to Tao to be sent somewhere nicer? Do you think it's ethical for hotel concierges and various leisure publications to send them there?

I'll bet a lot of those victims are actually delighted with the recommendation. How many of Tao's customers run out of there screaming and cursing at the dumb conciege who sent them there? I mean, we don't even need to touch Tao. Look at Olive Garden and Bubba Gump, Times Square. You can walk by any day, and see hundreds of people who seem to be enjoying themselves. They're where they want to be.

ETA: some clarity there. Isn't the question whether it's Tao or Minetta?

yes

But I don't think Sneak would say he wouldn't dine at Minetta alone. And Minetta isn't an especially lavish place. Or showy.

(Looks at carrots and hummus. Thinks of the French Dip four blocks away. Curses pseudonymous Canadian)

So what does this mean?

I personally like the kind of place Minetta is more than I like the kind of place NoMad is.

I personally like the kind of food Minetta serves more than the kind of food NoMad serves.

It doesn't mean NoMad isn't extremely good.

Look at Olive Garden and Bubba Gump, Times Square. You can walk by any day, and see hundreds of people who seem to be enjoying themselves. They're where they want to be.

This is because they are dunderheads. We need to save them.

Look at Olive Garden and Bubba Gump, Times Square. You can walk by any day, and see hundreds of people who seem to be enjoying themselves. They're where they want to be.

This is because they are dunderheads. We need to save them.

Would you recommend Bubba Gump to your dunderhead friends?

You can't get to the point where you're a movie reviewer and feel you have to give good reviews to Michael Bay-type movies (or, OTOH, American Beauty-type movies) because a lot of people like them.

Oh, of course. Critics are supposed to be more sophisticated.