Steroids? Knock me down!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Memo to diary. Find time to be shocked at the possibility that Bonds and Giambi have used steroids. Afternoon of February 7 looks good.

Jaywalking is most definitely a competitive sport, and a real fun one at that. I would do it competitively for a four-year $125 million deal, with appropriate incentives for more, of course.   The r

Wow! Do you think Sheryl Crow is using as well?

When you consider how prevalent the use of the drugs is it kinda makes Pete Rose's gambling look like small stuff. Not that he's right, but he did get punished. So far, they haven't been. Where's Judge Landis when baseball needs him?

Excellent point but the fact is that drug use has never been high on MLB radar screen because it was always believed to not have an impact on the integrity of each game, unlike gambling. Clearly, steroid use does have such an effect on the integrity of the game so these guys should get banished.

Another difference is that Rose was booted based on things done while a manager and not while as a member of the MLB Players Association which may be the most powerful union in the US. You can be sure that no matter what happens, the PA will appeal.

I find it hard to get angry with the guys because I have the strong impression (not based on evidence, so I am open to being told I'm wrong) that it's been an everyday part of the game for a long time, and everyone has been turning a blind eye to it. I am not going to single out Giambi as a bad guy unless I'm convinced there aren't bad guys all over the place. Sammy Sosa? Boy, hasn't he trimmed down recently? Mark McGwire? Am I just too cynical?

It's also increasingly apparent that every professional cyclist from Armstrong down uses dope.

I too find it hard to get worked up about it. What’s the difference between training at altitude to increase natural erythropoietin levels and hence red blood cell count and injecting it to achieve the same thing?

You can be purist about "cheating", of course. If it's against the rules, it's cheating. But in many sports there are practices which, while against the rules, go on all the time without anyone getting especially bothered, as long as it's not too obvious. Or, if you prefer, take jaywalking. I understand it's against the law in New York City. If you catch Jason Giambi jaywalking, give him hell.

It's also increasingly apparent that every professional cyclist from Armstrong down uses dope.

Are you sure about Armstrong? Do you think he gets a free pass because of the cancer?

One of his advisors is Michele Ferrari who is currently on trial for supplying drugs to other cyclists. He has also tested positive for steroids though he claimed it was due to the use of a legal skin cream, an excuse that the relevant bodies accepted.