Steroids? Knock me down!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Memo to diary. Find time to be shocked at the possibility that Bonds and Giambi have used steroids. Afternoon of February 7 looks good.

Jaywalking is most definitely a competitive sport, and a real fun one at that. I would do it competitively for a four-year $125 million deal, with appropriate incentives for more, of course.   The r

Wow! Do you think Sheryl Crow is using as well?

I haven't kept up with Bill James, but I'm wondering if he or someone else using sabremetrics can show a statistical differnece in homer production, etc., shortly after steroids that could be used by ball players were developed. Why do I think there's a correlation?

According to the Washington Post, Senator McCain spoke with Bud Selig, and conveyed to him that Congress will have a bill on the President's desk in January if the owners and the union don't have a workable drug testing and disciplinary policy in place very soon.

This is exactly the kind of feel good legislation Congress loves to pass, and there's no doubt McCain would be happy to oblige.

WCBS Report

edited for content and to add the link

Jeeeeezus. With the state of the world, the country and everything else thats F'd U, I'd think the Supreme Court would have better things to do than care who has an unfair advantage in a GAME. No one's ever died because some dumb ball player enhanced his performance. Lets get real here, people are on death row who need their cases to be heard. All this is about is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and some nostalgia for a baseball that probably never existed.

Sorry, Rose, I can't agree with you. You know how important I consider the other matters you mentioned, but nevertheless this is baseball you're talking about.

A friend reports that the bat with which Babe Ruth hit his first home run at Yankee Stadium, and which sold for lots of money last week at Sotheby's, was corked.

So much for the good ol' days of baseball. :D

Did the buyer return the bat to the sommelier? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Of course it's cheating, of course widespread cheating is no excuse, of course guiilty parties should be banned.

But I'm surprized that no-one has addressed the important issue at stake here. Professional sport exists because the public will pay to watch it. It seems that the public are willing to pay effectively limitless sums of money to watch sport, and they demand better and better performance for their money. That demand for constantly improving performance, and the sheer amount of money available to those who can achieve it, are what drives modern sportsmen and women to take drugs.

Effectively, the sports-watching public are not only condoning, but actually encouraging, young people to damage their health. Many of those who are sucked into this maelstrom are disadvantaged people for whom professional sport is their only way out of poverty.

It's a symptom of a decadent society, in my view.

I agree with every word of that. I would also include so-called reality programming such as Survivor and Fear Factor as just another wrinkle in the same cloth. Its all about as civilized as two men fighting to the death in the Roman Coliseum with the crowd cheering them on.

• 2 months later...

So, Congressional subpoenas for Giambi,McGuire, Sosa, Canseco, Schilling, Palmiero - who am I missing? - plus some MLB Admins. Not Barry Bonds.

One reaction: what the hell has it got to do with Congress?

Is this bullying? There may be an implication that Bonds is about to be prosecuted for perjury, which is why he is not being called to testify.

Another reaction: if the current players they would be crazy not to invoke the Fifth Amendment - who knows what charges are being cooked up? And of course, when they are forced to do that, they will look like they did something wrong.

What a mess.

So, Congressional subpoenas for Giambi,McGuire, Sosa, Canseco, Schilling, Palmiero - who am I missing? - plus some MLB Admins. Not Barry Bonds.

One reaction: what the hell has it got to do with Congress?

Is this bullying? There may be an implication that Bonds is about to be prosecuted for perjury, which is why he is not being called to testify.

Another reaction: if the current players they would be crazy not to invoke the Fifth Amendment - who knows what charges are being cooked up? And of course, when they are forced to do that, they will look like they did something wrong.

What a mess.

frank thomas of the white sox too. he's been an outspoken critic of steroid use for many years. he may look like he was on them too, but he was always huge (former auburn tight end). last year before testing a bunch of the white sox were going to refuse tests to make the number of positives (refusal to test was counted as positive) higher.

i heard lester munson, the SI legal guy, say that the committee is doing this as a possible first step in getting rid of mlb's anti-trust exemption. but maybe the congressmen just want to be seen on tv.

And this is the House Committee on Government Reform, which has broad oversight of all government activities, which I shouldn't have thought obviously included major league baseball. Perhaps the argument is that the committee has a valid interest in whether government should be doing something about steroid use in major league baseball: an argument which, of course, would give them jurisdiction over absolutely anything.

Can anyone explain this to me?