• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just realised we needed a thread with the appropriate year in the subtitle.   Statistic of the day, Boston's Mark Melancon's ERA. 49.50. Wow.   Maybe Red Sox Just Aren’t Very Good

Below .500, chicken'n'beer-swillin' Red Sox calls for ouster of sarcastic, egomaniacal manager. Baseball doesn't get better.

I think Red Sox ownership have successfuly clarified whether they or the players own the team and appoint the manager.   With Youkilis gone already, they extracted a few more problems from the clubh

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Now that the Series is over can we talk about the baseballs? Justin Verlander and other pitchers talked about how abnormally slick the balls used in the WS were. And the increase in home runs was dramatic and record setting.

MLB insists the balls haven't changed. That reminds me of the old saying. "Who are you going to believe? me or your lyin' eyers."

I'd like to see some independent agency start testing balls. Use a machine to see how far they travel when struck. Repeat the tests until baselines are established. Compare this year's MLB balls with balls used in the minors. In Mexican and Japanese leagues. Maybe some balls that were made over the last 3 years. Lets see the numbers.

I like a home run as much as anyone else but I really don't want to see 13-12 games become routine.

Saying that the ball was different during the series than it was during the season is a new accusation (at least to me). I'm sure that there's a stock of unused balls for both that can be retrospectively looked at. Sounds like MLB might've (successfully) made the WS more interesting. Sure had me tuning in for a series that I didn't plan to watch.