• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just realised we needed a thread with the appropriate year in the subtitle.   Statistic of the day, Boston's Mark Melancon's ERA. 49.50. Wow.   Maybe Red Sox Just Aren’t Very Good

Below .500, chicken'n'beer-swillin' Red Sox calls for ouster of sarcastic, egomaniacal manager. Baseball doesn't get better.

I think Red Sox ownership have successfuly clarified whether they or the players own the team and appoint the manager.   With Youkilis gone already, they extracted a few more problems from the clubh

Miami Herald is saying Girardi is one of four on Miami's short list for manager. Of course, they will need to get the Yankees' permission. Their thinking - Girardi and A-Rod can't possibly co-exist next season. Girardi didn't help matters yesterday by telling reporters he and A-Rod haven't spoken since the end of the game last Thursday.

Context: he spent most of the press conference praising A-Rod, and emphasizing that he expects him to be his starting third baseman next year:

"I think there were some comments that maybe Alex is not an MVP candidate. He hasn't been for the last couple of years," Girardi said of the three-time American League MVP. "But as I said, you've seen players who've made adjustments who've gone back to being extremely productive. There was talk about Derek (Jeter). There was talk about Ichiro (Suzuki), that he wasn't the same player, and look how good he was for us, what he did over that two months span and in the playoffs.

"So, can Alex be a very good player again?" Girardi continued. "Absolutely. I don't have any question in my mind. Because I think the desire is there. As far as being a heads-up player, I think that's there. As far as being a 45-50 home-run guy, we don't see much of that in baseball, at all. How many guys hit 40-plus homers this year? Four, maybe five? So I don't anticipate that's going to happen, but I think he can be a very good player ... You always have a chance as a player to rewrite things and make adjustments."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/girardi-expects-a-rod-back-season-article-1.1191079#ixzz2AF8nJYEY

He can't badmouth A-Rod and why should he? If they do wind up together next season, he needs him to at least have his head in the game. There's a school of thought that says the Yanks should keep A-Rod since he deflects all the criticism from other players. Nothing like having $114 million punching bag around.

Told this to my wife the moment Girardi said Jeter had a broken ankle. If I was Girardi - would have asked A-Rod to come into my office and said, come out early tomorrow and take as many grounders at short as possible. For the rest of the post-season you're my shortstop and hitting third. If that didn't stir his juices nothing would - then the front office would have known for sure what he has/had left. Realize he hasn't played short in years, but he was best SS in the game when he came to the Yankees and didn't want to give up that position. He could have done it for two weeks.

A moment forever lost.

Hey guys, there's a World Series going on. Just kidding, I don't think anyone cares if no one else is paying attention but this city goes completely crazy when we're in the Series. It's really over the top.

Hey guys, there's a World Series going on. Just kidding, I don't think anyone cares if no one else is paying attention but this city goes completely crazy when we're in the Series. It's really over the top.

I dont think I realized that you're in Detroit.

I dont think I realized that you're in Detroit.

People still live in Detroit?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

A-Rod is always the poster boy, but apparently 20 players are facing 100 game suspensions. Just from this one clinic.

Wonder who else is on the list. (Will only be people with big muscles and amazing records, obviously.)

A-Rod is always the poster boy, but apparently 20 players are facing 100 game suspensions. Just from this one clinic.

Wonder who else is on the list. (Will only be people with big muscles and amazing records, obviously.)

I think it's a pretty sure bet that several Mets are doing everything they can to stay off the list & prove that they cant possibly be doing 'roids.

Sorry Steve. No Mets. From ESPN -

Players Under Scrutiny

Major League Baseball will seek to suspend about 20 players connected to Biogenesis, OTL has learned. Among the players who might ultimately face discipline:

Player Team Ryan Braun Brewers Everth Cabrera Padres Melky Cabrera Blue Jays Francisco Cervelli Yankees Bartolo Colon Athletics Nelson Cruz Rangers Fautino de los Santos Free agent Gio Gonzalez* Nationals Yasmani Grandal Padres Fernando Martinez Astros Jesus Montero Mariners Jordan Norberto Free agent Jhonny Peralta Tigers Cesar Puello** Mets Alex Rodriguez Yankees * Sources told ESPN that Gonzalez received only legal substances ** minor leaguer, not a member of the MLB Players Association