World's 50 Best Restaurants

Certain restaurants I visited in Paris a couple of years back must have gone into free fall if EMP and Per Se are now better.

(But I doubt it.)

In these rankings Per Se has been top 10 since the time of your visit. EMP is completely new to the top 50 rankings as of 2 years ago.

L'Ambroisie? Nowhere to be seen in the top 50 :-)

(which is retarded)

Daniel just took #25, Ssam Bar #37.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This year available online for your viewing pleasure, next Monday starting at 3pm EST:   http://www.theworlds50best.com/   Last years NY restaurants:   10: Per Se 11: Daniel 18: Le Bernardin

Bear in mind that there are different panels in different parts of the world to try and give some semblance of balance and to make sure that the list is not totally euro-centric given that it originates in London. So, the appearance of certain US places represents the way the panels are set up as much as it does the quality of the restaurants themselves.

As far as I am aware there is still no requirement to prove that you have been to the restaurants you vote for. There certainly was not last year when I was on the UK panel. I was just asked to nominate seven (if memory serves me)places I had eaten in the previous eighteen months. I can't speak for anyone else, but I only chose places that I had actually visited. It would have been a silly exercise otherwise. I suggested people should submit their receipts with their votes, but never got a response.

Some people on the panel have been on press jaunts in the past I believe, but I have never been asked, nor would I have gone.

I wasn't asked to do it this year, and would not have been able too anyway as I have not been travelling that widely outside of the US this year and have not been eating at that level.

The list is quirky, but serves to inspire debate and helps the gastro list tickers with their, er gastro list ticking, but if anyone thinks it is truly representative of the best places to eat in the world I have a lovely bridge I'd like to sell them

Slapsie

the non-food aspects of eating at ssam bar are much better than ko.

When you look at the rest of this list, it is hard for me to believe that that accounts for it.

I would actually put forth that more than any other list that get's widely published, non-food aspects account for almost all of it. How else to explain it? Trendyness, hotness, buzz, athmosphere, energy etc.... This is in effect a jet setters list. It's what makes it largely laughable, if not for the fact that somehow just about every top chef in the world is there right now.

Poor Fat Duck, poor Daniel, they've had their moment in the sun...

When did Per Se surpass French Laundry? Has it always been better?

2009 is the exact year that the Per Se surpassed the French Laundry. Their website really is a treasure trove of accurate information about restaurant quality. Their attempt to broaden culinary perspectives is admirable as well. It seems that due to the exceptionally low caliber cuisine in the Orient (in particular, the coarse, vernacular, traditional cuisines of Japan and China which do not merit a mention), San Pellegrino has seen fit to grace us, in 2013, with an Asian list. Jiro dreams of topping it, I'm sure.

When did Per Se surpass French Laundry? Has it always been better?

2009 is the exact year that the Per Se surpassed the French Laundry. Their website really is a treasure trove of accurate information about restaurant quality. Their attempt to broaden culinary perspectives is admirable as well. It seems that due to the exceptionally low caliber cuisine in the Orient (in particular, the coarse, vernacular, traditional cuisines of Japan and China which do not merit a mention), San Pellegrino has seen fit to grace us, in 2013, with an Asian list. Jiro dreams of topping it, I'm sure.

Did you notice they faked a couple of Tokyo places into the top 30 but those are the only restaurants in all of Japan that made it into the top 100?