I was speaking to a M colleague last night, and neither of us had the answer to this question:

When a chef says they're "breaking down whole animals" (as opposed to the more direct word, butchering them), where exactly did that phrase originate? Anyone know?

I did, of course, have the interesting answer to a different question. "Harvesting animals" derives from wildlife preservation practices where necessary culling is seasonal, dependent on birth-cycles, and quite sensibly called "harvesting."

Calling it "harvesting" when you kill a pig to sell its meat is offensively dumb.

I would be interesting in an answer to the question above, though.

It's an interesting question.

My opinion is that it started when people who were not butchers by profession began working with whole (or halves or quarters) of animals. For example a chef working with a front quarter of beef in the restaurant.

It's also noteworthy that butchering in more of a factory setting is typically called meat cutting. So, someone at Hormel who is working with knives to create cuts of meat from hogs is referred to as a meat cutter and not a butcher.

Merriam-Webster:

1a : to cause to fall or collapse by breaking or shattering b : to make ineffective <break down legal barriers>

2a : to divide into parts or categories b : to separate (as a chemical compound) into simpler substances : decompose c : to take apart especially for storage or shipment and for later reassembling

Yes, you "break down" a theater set, for example, but with the purpose of putting it back together again. I think Oakie suggested "decomposition" - which is not very appetizing.

Maybe it's the supermarkets I go to. They have cuts they're not getting from mainstream suppliers, and the butchers have bloody aprons which I assume are not for show. In fact, I've seen them walking around with pieces of animal over their shoulders.

I am certainly not talking about skills, but there's all those packs of end cuts, and bits and pieces, plus a definite variation in size and shape of cuts in general, that it seems to me an artisanal process is taking place. :lol:

(See, I've always had an interest in the odd bits and pieces.)

The term "break it down" has become more popular. News programs will raise an issue, say, taking a loan from your 401k, and then send it over to the financial correspondent to "break it down" for you.

Maybe it's the supermarkets I go to. They have cuts they're not getting from mainstream suppliers, and the butchers have bloody aprons which I assume are not for show. In fact, I've seen them walking around with pieces of animal over their shoulders.

I mean supermarkets in Wisconsin, where the cool kids are from.

Of the markets I frequent the most, Pathmark, Whole Paycheck, and Jubilee have butchers who cut meat; Food Emporium does not any more (used to, though).

YMMV

The original question, one of semantics more than merchandising, could be interesting to research. Some day, maybe.