The Great GoogaMooga

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there more for the music than for the food. The Roots was playing. But, here is an interesting article about the whole event:

http://observer.com/...mooga/?show=all

Wow, this Eddie Huang guy is pretty full of shit. talk about self absorbed crap.. he blames brooklyn, be blames cell phone reception, he blames white people. I don't really understand what he was writing other than the fact that he is an amazing selfless saint who despite it all, was able to make sandwiches for people or something. Someone should throw this guy a benefit. Perhaps, someone else should cater it.

I was there more for the music than for the food. The Roots was playing. But, here is an interesting article about the whole event:

Wow, this Eddie Huang guy is pretty full of shit. talk about self absorbed crap.. he blames brooklyn, be blames cell phone reception, he blames white people. I don't really understand what he was writing other than the fact that he is an amazing selfless saint who despite it all, was able to make sandwiches for people or something. Someone should throw this guy a benefit. Perhaps, someone else should cater it.

You summed up my feelings beautifully. Eddie really needs to grow up.

The consensus is that Googa Mooga was a major shit show. Even NY Magazine, who was a sponsor, acknowledged this.

The show's producers have now agreed to refund money to all the people who bought super-premium $250 tickets. Oopsie.

It's not that some people didn't have a good time. It's that lots of people didn't. Their complaints are detailed, consistent, and well documented.

Yes, and let us not talk about how bad Baohaus is in terms of food and quality....Success can be a dangerous thing.

You summed up my feelings beautifully. Eddie really needs to grow up.

The consensus is that Googa Mooga was a major shit show. Even NY Magazine, who was a sponsor, acknowledged this.

The show's producers have now agreed to refund money to all the people who bought super-premium $250 tickets. Oopsie.

It's not that some people didn't have a good time. It's that lots of people didn't. Their complaints are detailed, consistent, and well documented.

um, but he does have a point about white people, they do cause a lot of trouble. in my heart, i know they don't really mean to cause so much trouble, but it is what it is.

Eddie is under the misapprehension that he's black because he listens to rap and he keeps the labels on his baseball cap.

Being Asian is not the same as being black. It really isn't.

eddie_huang_0223.jpg

"I'm a badass. Really. I am."

From Wikipedia -

Not long after graduating from law school, Huang decided for a career change. He was interested in food as he had grown up watching his mother cook at home and had learned many skills in the kitchen. He learned management from his father, who also opened restaurants

Nothing spells street cred like graduating from law school.

Eddie is under the misapprehension that he's black because he listens to rap and he keeps the labels on his baseball cap.

. . .

You must not know many Filipinos. :lol:

(back in the day, there was this thing floating around Usenet or whatever was pre-Usenet that went something like "You know you're [fill-in-Asian-adjective] when [fill in appropriate stereotype]," and ended with "You know you're Filipino when you want to be black.")

(and there are many parallels between the experiences of poor Filipinos and African Americans)

(and when my mother was young, when her cousins wanted to tease her, they'd call her "negrita" because she was darker-skinned than they)

(but true, being Asian (even being Filipino) is not the same as being black)

eddie_huang_0223.jpg

"I'm a badass. Really. I am."

From Wikipedia -

Not long after graduating from law school, Huang decided for a career change. He was interested in food as he had grown up watching his mother cook at home and had learned many skills in the kitchen. He learned management from his father, who also opened restaurants

Nothing spells street cred like graduating from law school.

a good moot court session always ends in teeth and loose change all over the parking lot.

(back in the day, there was this thing floating around Usenet or whatever was pre-Usenet that went something like "You know you're [fill-in-Asian-adjective] when [fill in appropriate stereotype]," and ended with "You know you're Filipino when you want to be black.")

WANTING to be black isn't the same thing as BEING black.

WANTING to be black isn't the same thing as BEING black.

They're just different shades of brown.

(I'm not trying to minimize the experience of African Americans, but like I said before, there are many many many parallels between the experiences of African Americans and poor Filipinos--slavery, poverty, lack of education, lack of opportunities, prejudice (both from external and internal sources), marginalization, etc. etc. etc. Spend a few weeks in the Philippines (and not on a resort) and you'll see what I mean.)