Mission Chinese Food

For better or worse, one of those conclusions is going to get you a job on a daily paper.

I've started carrying around a half eaten Shackburger in my pocket. I figure that ought to get me an interview.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm sure you're going to read a lot of hyper-excited reports, as much of the current clientele seems to come from all kinds of mailing lists... people who have probably only eaten Jewish-American-Chin

That's an accurate assessment. Bruni was the exception.   I can understand how this situation arose. Of all the restaurants on my list only one was around 10 years ago, Spicy and Tasty in Flushing

And we had some other stuff, too.   Mission, Part 2

Actually, the contrast between those conclusions makes a difference, given the relative effort required to eat at the place. Whether you stand in line for an hour might depend on whether you believe Wells or Lau.

(Let me stipulate that I am sure people have gotten in easier too).

Actually, the contrast between those conclusions makes a difference, given the relative effort required to eat at the place. Whether you stand in line for an hour might depend on whether you believe Wells or Lau.

(Let me stipulate that I am sure people have gotten in easier too).

I've had one dinner there and 2 lunches without Ginny. Ginny's had 2 lunches without me. No wait at any. The dinner had enough folks for a reservation. The lunches had no waits.

WE GIVE TO CHARITY!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that a bad thing? Or does it make the cooking so much less authentic, that we should all snicker at the white boy Asian guy cooking it?

I find it crass to advertise that on the menu and idiotic to give a restaurant brownie points for advertising its charitable activities this way. But regardless of what you think about that aspect, it's a very sad state of affairs when the nyt critic considers MCF to be the year's most important/interesting/exciting/whatever opening.

I was recommending Bistro Benoit to someone this morning, and saw this on their menu...

Conviviality with a Cause
Benoit pledges $1 from every check as well as $10
from each of Alain Ducasse’s J’aime New York books
sold at the restaurant, to Robin Hood’s Relief Fund.
Now through December 31st.
Not to flog this to death, but let's say Restaurant Daniel suddenly decided to donate a percentage of its receipts to charity.

Would everybody here suddenly start liking it?

One of us already likes it.

• 2 weeks later...

It's way too early to chose my worst meal of the year, but I can guarantee you that 50 weeks from now Misson Chinese will still hold the honor. I feel tonight that I have cheated and brutalized. There is nothing even medicore here. The ingredients are cheap, the conceptions heavy-handed and lost in space, and the choice of '70s disco music to blast the clientele is as tasteless as the food. The room is depressing and the waiters jam up your table with dishes they deposit in no sequential order.. If this is the best new restaurant of 2011, where does that leave New York as "the restaurant capital of the world"?.

It's way too early to chose my worst meal of the year, but I can guarantee you that 50 weeks from now Misson Chinese will still hold the honor. I feel tonight that I have cheated and brutalized. There is nothing even medicore here. The ingredients are cheap, the conceptions heavy-handed and lost in space, and the choice of '70s disco music to blast the clientele is as tasteless as the food. The room is depressing and the waiters jam up your table with dishes they deposit in no sequential order.. If this is the best new restaurant of 2011, where does that leave New York as "the restaurant capital of the world"?.

I'm not saying you were wrong not to like this place but honestly, there was plenty of information here and on other sites about how the food is prepared and served. The ambiance (or lack of it) was covered as well. If you read any of that you would have known that this place wasn't for you. I'm surprised that you were surprised.

Did you rely entirely on Wells' declaration that this was the best restaurant of 2012?