Mission Chinese Food

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm sure you're going to read a lot of hyper-excited reports, as much of the current clientele seems to come from all kinds of mailing lists... people who have probably only eaten Jewish-American-Chin

That's an accurate assessment. Bruni was the exception.   I can understand how this situation arose. Of all the restaurants on my list only one was around 10 years ago, Spicy and Tasty in Flushing

And we had some other stuff, too.   Mission, Part 2

• 1 month later...

2.0 is much better than 1.0, but I think if you stick to the straightforward stuff you don't get much edge over real Chinese places.

But oysters and scallops were quite good.

And I managed not to go ballistic on them for the $47 fucking farmed $5 bream.

And the thrice cooked bacon and rice cake was almost, nearly, if not quite as good as the rice cake dish at Ssam a while back.

And service was only mildly ridiculous.

And real, if not great, cocktails.

And Tondonia.

And everyone else in the room was getting wings and pizza and fried rice.

eta: I was asked tonight not once, not twice, but 17 times if I wanted my white to be put on ice. Can't make this stuff up.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Fine meal here last night. You could have walked in as late as 7:15, and been seated right away. (Stop laughing, Sneakeater!)

The Koji chicken, which is great - really juicy fried chicken, with that fabulous sauce. Excellent matcha tea noodles. Thrice-cooked bacon with rice cakes, per Sig Eater's request. And a dish I order every time - the green papaya salad with banana blossoms.

I even enjoyed the Phil K(h)allins cocktail. Other than the fact that it's served in a stupid rice bowl.

With 2 beers, all in around $110, and took home enough for lunch today.

Fine meal here last night. You could have walked in as late as 7:15, and been seated right away.

Walked in at 6:45 last night, and waited 45 minutes. I'll bet the bar next door is really happy that Mission Chinese came to the neighborhood.

Yeah, the 169 Bar is no doubt happy. And even happier they weren't shut down for serving minors.

A more adult option for a drink, while waiting for the text telling you your table is ready, is on the first block of Canal St. (#35), between Essex and Ludlow - Clandestino.

Provided there's space up front, I don't mind waiting at MCF. The Phil-Khallins and shiso egg cream drinks were especially unique.

And while MCF doesn't yet have a bar for wrangling waiting diners, just as an aside, I was disappointed by my short experience at Whiskey Soda Lounge in Red Hook -- both drinks completely out of whack. Pok Pok's were much better.

Hadn't been to MCF since last holiday season, and was only in for a quick bite, but I tried the banana blossom salad based on joethefoodie's report and was very happy. Anchovies also lovely.

Here's something I've never seen before — no doubt old news to the rest of you, but bear in mind I seldom visit no-resy restaurants.

I give them my cell number, and they text me instantly (while I am still standing there), to ensure they copied the number correctly. In the text is a link to an app called "The List", which takes about a minute to download and install. After signing on and providing my cell number, the app shows me exactly how many parties are ahead of me, and crosses them off the list as they get seated.

I'm never going to visit such restaurants with any frequency, but this little app makes the wait ever-so-slightlly more tolerable, especially if you've left the premises to grab a pre-prandial drink elsewhere.

Provided there's space up front, I don't mind waiting at MCF. The Phil-Khallins and shiso egg cream drinks were especially unique.

And while MCF doesn't yet have a bar for wrangling waiting diners, just as an aside, I was disappointed by my short experience at Whiskey Soda Lounge in Red Hook -- both drinks completely out of whack. Pok Pok's were much better.

Hadn't been to MCF since last holiday season, and was only in for a quick bite, but I tried the banana blossom salad based on joethefoodie's report and was very happy. Anchovies also lovely.

Have you been to the bar downstairs at MCF?

I actually like the space it's in, but the service can be less than quick.

Though we try to make sure our wait is always going to be less than 30 minutes or so (if we actually are going to wait), we'll head to 169 or Clandestino. And Bacaro and Forget Me Not are also right there on Division St. (And I suppose Fung Tu, though would it be weird to go to Fung Tu for a drink, while waiting for a text from MCF)?