Ms J

Dinner Party Menus

I'm sorry.  Cooking on your birthday just seems wrong to me.

There was an offer to cook for me, but I do like cooking.

AS I told my d-i-l who was appalled that I might cook on my birthday, "It's my party and I'll cook if I want to, cook if I want to..."

An added birthday present is the mega bucks saved over comparable restaurant food and wine.

Well yes, I alluded to that on some thread or other. The foie gras alone was served in quantities I can’t imagine in a restaurant. I suppose one could pay corkage on the wine.

Little dinner for close friends.

(Surprisingly well received) pimento cheese + baguette slices; toothpicked porchetta; California sparkling wine.

Baby greens, beet wedges, Granny Smith slivers, smoked trout, sour cream-horseradish dressing,   Rhys Bearswallow Chardonnay, guest supplied.

"Big fish soup";  halibut frame broth, tomato, saffron, fennel bulb and seeds, Pernod, espelette,   Poured over clams, grilled scallops, prawns, monkfish, marble potatoes, croutons/rouille.

2005 *aged" Clos des Briards Muscadet; los Canarelli Corse Figare rose 2017, guest supplied.

Cheese plateau: roquefort, 6 year old Gouda, Red Hawk; cherry compote.     Navarro 2014 Gewurztraminer

Dark chocolate sherbet; "break-apart" (one big cookie) shortbread.      Van Reuten late harvest zin

Fresh mint tea.

• Like 1

Brunch rather than dinner:

--Salad with supermarket mixed lettuces augmented with greens and edible flowers from our garden

--Leek and salt cod gratin, a recipe from Potager.  On the richer side with the milk, eggs, and Gruyere, but not super-rich. I got the salt cod on a chance visit last week to the now-closed Lucca Deli in the Mission.  Served with a really good sourdough-rye miche from As Kneaded Bakery in San Leando

--Apple-oat-cinnamon muffins. I used a KAF mix, but I thought it needed a little something extra so I made a glaze of confectioner's sugar, water, and boiled cider syrup

--Coffee and mimosas to drink

as i mentally get ready for india''s gandhi tandoori bollywood mahal xi in a couple of weeks, here is the menu for india's gandhi tandoori bollywood mahal x from a couple of weeks ago.

55576159_10156570902443303_6551092670033

9 people on a weeknight, for wine and ski-tuning: 

celery root and chestnut soup, creme fraiche and crispy speck 

salad of grilled Radiccio di Treviso, grilled pears, toasted hazelnuts, parsley, and some other kind of radicchio -- similar to castelfranco in flavour, but beautiful pale pink throughout.  

salami, goose rillettes, cornichons 

cheeses: vacherin, morbier, aged comte, camembert with truffle, fourme d'ambert, and Tomme du Savoie

bread from the French place, one rye based, the other slow rise or something. 

red seedless grapes