Dinner Party Menus

4th of July dinner last night for a small crowd: chicken thighs and boneless country spare ribs coated with house spice rub, grilled. Homemade baked beans, my own hot mango chutney, salad of young lettuces and arugula with buttermilk dressing. Strawberry-rhubarb crumb-top pie.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have the Supper thread, which covers everything from quick pasta dishes to parties, but considering all the time and effort most of us put into planning dinner parties I thought it would be worth h

everything turned out well. no pictures I am afraid as no-one had the right technology. Rillettes were very rich and I think I served each person about 3 portions. modifications to menu were:   Hom

Could post this in bios or getting older, but this was my birthday dinner party:   Maine sea urchin tagliatelle with black truffle butter Foie gras tacos, red wine and fig preserve sauce, diced app

Is this a good thread for me to plan a dinner party in August? I am thinking of cooking a fairly long dinner, based as exclusively as possible on New York greenmarket ingredients, and reflecting local culinary traditions.

Or should I take it to the greenmarket thread?

Vague ideas so far include a salad course, which is obvious enough. What is the best fish course - Brook Farm trout perhaps? I am tempted to serve bison; but maybe a chicken dish first, then the bison.

Cheese, fruit-based dessert.

I've done 'farmers market' only dinners before. Usually with a group of 6- I'll take them shopping to the market in the morning and then we devise a menu around what we purchased. It's very fun. I understand you are looking at planning before hand, I say keep it here and let us plan it with you!!

I'd sandwich in the chicken before the bison. Or some bird, anyway. The quality of the poultry available at the greenmarket is very high. As is that of some of the cured meats on offer.

I'd sandwich in the chicken before the bison. Or some bird, anyway. The quality of the poultry available at the greenmarket is very high. As is that of some of the cured meats on offer.

The game available is pretty crappy though.

It's hard to plan the exact menu of an all-Greenmarket meal since vendors do not always show up on the appointed day, and the selection of products available is highly variable. This has happened to me in the past with a dinner involving some of Violet Hill's lucious lamb chops; ofcourse on the morning of the dinner Violet Hill is nowhere to be seen and that Saturday was apparently one of the very rare Saturdays they did not come in for the market. Fortunately I live right near Citerella and was able to fill in all of the missing ingredients there.

Flexibility will certainly be required.

Yes, I was thinking of chicken (because the game is indeed crap) between the fish and a small serving of bison. What would be the best cut of bison to simply grill, I wonder?

If I grill the bison, I should probably poach the chicken. Can I make succotash exclusively with greenmarket ingredients?

Flexibility will certainly be required.

Yes, I was thinking of chicken (because the game is indeed crap) between the fish and a small serving of bison. What would be the best cut of bison to simply grill, I wonder?

If I grill the bison, I should probably poach the chicken. Can I make succotash exclusively with greenmarket ingredients?

i'd go for a ribeye. i've had bison tenderloin and it was very lean. you may want to consider gazpacho for your 'salad'.

4th of july 'dinner party':

apps: leftover smoked brisket, chopped liver (both from friend's 3rd of july party), quesadillas, homemade tomatillo salsa

sides: red beans, cellophane noodle salad, grilled asparagus

mains: jerk chicken, grilled pork rack, polish&italian sausages, german hot dogs

dessert: key lime pie, rum cake brought by a guest, ice cream cones

tunes: sparrow, lord kitchener, brazilina mix, rock steady mix

• 2 weeks later...

another bbq yesterday for 18:

many many rum and coconut waters :o , plus a couple XX oscuras and some chatienuef du pape.

marinated a pork butt (13 lbs!) in fish sauce, garlic, bird chilies, garlic, lime juice&zest overnight. smoked it for 10 hours.

cellophane noodle salad w/ roasted shiitake, egg, bean sprouts, tomato, and cilantro.

potato and green bean curry over jasmine rice.

cucumber salad.

my MIL brought a variety of cookies for dessert and a friend brought brownies :blink:

tunes: herb kents battle of the best (marvin gaye vs stevie wonder - marvin won), william bell, etta james, billy stewart, the techniques

mezze yesterday:

basil tsatsiki;

walnut tarator (for roasted beets);

fava spread;

orange/coriander/fennel marinated olives;

assorted home pickles;

from the grill : yogurt/saffron marinated lamb loin chops (our new favorite cut), irish sausages.

mezze05170zu.jpg

Our 6-day houseguests just left two days ago. While they were here I cooked the following: (Assume lots of alcohol throughout. I barely remember any of it myself)

Dinner 1:

- Roasted golden beet and purslane salad, with a sumac-lemon-olive oil dressing and a little puck of goat cheese

- Homemade Ciabatta

- Moroccan chicken with preseved lemon and olives

- pan roasted (okay, boiled and then fried) new potatoes with lots of cracked black pepper and sea salt

- Saffron Panna Cotta

Dinner 2:

Korean BBQ -- grilled bulgogi and pork belly, lettuce and perilla leaves plus gochu-jang/ground ginger/grilled onions/garlic for rolling, two kinds of kimchi (bought fresh from the Korean deli), spicy squid banchan, spinach salad, cucumber salad, And a big bowl of Chap-jae or however you spell it. Green tea ice cream and Pocky

Dinner 3 (rainy day):

New England corn chowder

homemade pain de campagne (epis)

platter of excellent culatello

tomato salad

apricot raspberry crisp with assorted ice cream

Breakfast:

Hangover-nursing breakfast of Chilaquiles after a tough night out

Cocktail party:

(For them and a bunch of friends)

- Prosecco cocktail made with limoncello & grappa

- pumpernickel squares with smoked salmon, horseradish cream and chives

- crostata with wild mushroom roasted with garlic & rosemary, topped with a little balsamic vinegar

- crostata with apple-mustard jam and prosciutto, peppery purslane salad for garnish

- cracked sicilian olives heated in olive oil with thyme, garlic, cracked black pepper & sea salt, lemon squeezed on top (old Lebanese trick)

- assorted salumi

- baby onions in sherry vinegar

- roasted red peppers with anchovy & garlic

- cream cheese with chives, plus another soft cheese & baguette.

- insalata caprese that one of the guests made

- a huge amount of white wine and beer

- Sort of an inside joke, a very nasty shot from north germany involving salty danish licorice and vodka

No leftovers.

Our 6-day houseguests just left two days ago. While they were here I cooked the following: (Assume lots of alcohol throughout. I barely remember any of it myself)

Dinner 1:

- Roasted golden beet and purslane salad, with a sumac-lemon-olive oil dressing and a little puck of goat cheese

- Homemade Ciabatta

- Moroccan chicken with preseved lemon and olives

- pan roasted (okay, boiled and then fried) new potatoes with lots of cracked black pepper and sea salt

- Saffron Panna Cotta

Dinner 2:

Korean BBQ -- grilled bulgogi and pork belly, lettuce and perilla leaves plus gochu-jang/ground ginger/grilled onions/garlic for rolling, two kinds of kimchi (bought fresh from the Korean deli), spicy squid banchan, spinach salad, cucumber salad, And a big bowl of Chap-jae or however you spell it. Green tea ice cream and Pocky

Dinner 3 (rainy day):

New England corn chowder

homemade pain de campagne (epis)

platter of excellent culatello

tomato salad

apricot raspberry crisp with assorted ice cream

Breakfast:

Hangover-nursing breakfast of Chilaquiles after a tough night out

Cocktail party:

(For them and a bunch of friends)

- Prosecco cocktail made with limoncello & grappa

- pumpernickel squares with smoked salmon, horseradish cream and chives

- crostata with wild mushroom roasted with garlic & rosemary, topped with a little balsamic vinegar

- crostata with apple-mustard jam and prosciutto, peppery purslane salad for garnish

- cracked sicilian olives heated in olive oil with thyme, garlic, cracked black pepper & sea salt, lemon squeezed on top (old Lebanese trick)

- assorted salumi

- baby onions in sherry vinegar

- roasted red peppers with anchovy & garlic

- cream cheese with chives, plus another soft cheese & baguette.

- insalata caprese that one of the guests made

- a huge amount of white wine and beer

- Sort of an inside joke, a very nasty shot from north germany involving salty danish licorice and vodka

No leftovers.

Behemoth, that's an heroic amount of preparation, especially while entertaining houseguests! I have some questions about your cocktail party menu: how many people? what, if at all, did you make ahead? how did you serve it? can I copy the menu for our cocktail party that we will be throwing someday, hopefully before 2008?