• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got two. Scobie and BooBoo, the white cats.     Let's see Cherry! And Lucy and Mack! And Wilma, of course!

Cathy's cats are, as the young folk say, Da bomb ( that means good BTW)   I was so taken with them that i did not once wonder how they might taste or how best they could be prepared

And my two giants are always trying to stuff themselves into spaces far smaller than they are.   Thanks for the advice on falling cats, all. Glyn confirmed my fears that shorter drops are more dan

Okay, More clueless questions from the soon-to-be first-time kitten dad.

Today's topic: litter box.

So I went to the local pet supplies place the other day (I like to support the local independent shops when I can), and the very nice saleslady helped set me up with everything I need for the new kitty, except the litter box. The only one they had was some kind of complicated multi-layered thing with some sort of sifting procedure involved, but neither she nor I could figure out how to actually use it.

So she said there was a "regular" litter box at their other store, and she would have it sent over.

So today I go to pick it up, and this is what I got:

2785598648_e6104ec19b.jpg

2784745267_2a41061d77.jpg

Many questions!

The bottom tray is rather deep (8"!). Will the little kitty even be able to get in it? Should I rig some sort of step in front of the door?

I've never seen a litter box with a top like that before. It looks rather intimidating to me. Will it to him? Should I just leave the top part off?

Should I just take it back and go to PetCo and get a shallower box without a top?

General questions not related to this particular box:

He's been an outside kitty. Will he know to use the box? How? Is there something I need to do to let him know what it's for? If so, what?

Thanks in advance!

(ETA: That's his new bed in the upper left in front of the bookcase. It's not part of the box.)

Squeat I have a litter box like that and I like it very much. The bottom is deep and that's where you put the liner - you need jumbo liners for that one. You put the liner (it's essentially a plastic bag) in the bottom, you put litter in it about 1/3 up the sides, and you put the top on. The cat does its business in the box, the smell and sight of the poop is contained - the top has a filter in it which traps the smells, and you change that filter once in a while. Every day you scoop the box (use clumping litter) and every so often (depends on volume and frequency of scooping) you just lift out the liner (get the drawstring kind), throw it out, and start again. It's very easy.

When my cat was little, she was a stray kitten...she used it right away after I put her in it a couple of times the first day.

Re: the bed - I have tried so many times to get my cat (and other cats I have had) to use one of those beds. No dice.

Don'tt have the litter box close to the cat food, by the way. (I keep our litter box in the bathroom, fwiw)

Awww, how exciting! The nervous expectant papa! And a sweet little kitten bed, too!

That's the same kind of Winnebago that Henry has. I'm sure that kitty will be just fine with the height. You might want to remove the swinging door as he'll have to hop in while he's still small. Cats are quite fastidious, and even feral-borns usually take instantly to a litter box, where they can neatly cover everything up. There are two type of kitties when it comes to litterboxes: "rippers" and "tidypaws." (okay, I just made that up). "Tidypaws" are gentle, and you can use the plastic box-liner bags that make clean-up easier. "Rippers," such as my tuxedo cat, insist on trying to pull the walls down around them into the litter pile, sometimes spending a few minutes scraping the inside of the Winnebago; plastic liners are useless in this case. There are many types of litter box filler, and just as many opinions about which is best. I'm sure other cat people will chime in here. Also, you might want to put kitty's bedding in a different room from his litter box (although you may just be showing off your new purchases :) ). Good luck!

Thanks for all the advice... you are making me less nervous!

I'll keep this box then, remove the door, and buy some liners for it. That's not where it will be. I put it there to take the photo because there's a skylight there for illumination. The box will go into the utility room off the kitchen, which has a window that opens to the outside (the bathroom does not -- go figure!)

The bed is there under the skylight for now in case he is the kind of kitty that likes to hang out in the sun all day. I've been told by others that many kitties don't use the beds, but it was free and brand new so what the hell?

Thanks again for all the advice!

Litter box is adjacent to the food in our place - does not stop two cats from eating or using the box. The water is there too, though they much prefer lapping up the bathroom sink and shower water.

Filter replacements? What a concept!

There are two type of kitties when it comes to litterboxes: "rippers" and "tidypaws." (okay, I just made that up). "Tidypaws" are gentle, and you can use the plastic box-liner bags that make clean-up easier. "Rippers," such as my tuxedo cat, insist on trying to pull the walls down around them into the litter pile, sometimes spending a few minutes scraping the inside of the Winnebago; plastic liners are useless in this case.

That's hilarious. My tuxedo is a ripper, too. She's the daintiest little thing, too, but get her in the Winnebago, and she's in there for 5 minutes, scratching like she's trying to dig through to China.

Squeat, this is so exciting...your first cat! They're excellent company, even the whackjobs. Re: beds – Most cats will sleep wherever it's least convenient for you.

Squeat, this is so exciting...your first cat! They're excellent company, even the whackjobs. Re: beds – Most cats will sleep wherever it's least convenient for you.

:lol: I knew there was a reason I shouldn't have chosen a white duvet cover!

Thanks, everyone! I'm really quite excited: I haven't had a pet in years. I just hope I don't accidentally crush him or poison him or trap him in a closet or something.

Okay, More clueless questions from the soon-to-be first-time kitten dad.

Today's topic: litter box.

So I went to the local pet supplies place the other day (I like to support the local independent shops when I can), and the very nice saleslady helped set me up with everything I need for the new kitty, except the litter box. The only one they had was some kind of complicated multi-layered thing with some sort of sifting procedure involved, but neither she nor I could figure out how to actually use it.

So she said there was a "regular" litter box at their other store, and she would have it sent over.

So today I go to pick it up, and this is what I got:

2785598648_e6104ec19b.jpg

2784745267_2a41061d77.jpg

Many questions!

The bottom tray is rather deep (8"!). Will the little kitty even be able to get in it? Should I rig some sort of step in front of the door?

I've never seen a litter box with a top like that before. It looks rather intimidating to me. Will it to him? Should I just leave the top part off?

Should I just take it back and go to PetCo and get a shallower box without a top?

General questions not related to this particular box:

He's been an outside kitty. Will he know to use the box? How? Is there something I need to do to let him know what it's for? If so, what?

Thanks in advance!

(ETA: That's his new bed in the upper left in front of the bookcase. It's not part of the box.)

jeez squeat, you and callie could both live in that thing if you had to. the pet store lady saw you coming. it's lovely but you could defo use a cheaper one if you prefer. a rubbermaid about 6 inches deep and a little bigger than the cat will do just fine but this cadillac version will hide the mess and cut down on odor for sure. the bed is nice good luck getting a cat to sleep where you choose. if you tell him no everytime he goes near it you've got a shot. i'll try to train him to the box before he comes to you. it takes just a few minutes unless the cat is just an idiot.

I wish we could throw a kitty shower for Squeat. Maybe we should all send him cat toys.

Does anyone remember the hilarious Steve Martin routine about his cat and his credit card?

Squeat, as others have said, you’re gonna be fine!

Here’s some super-simple yet life-changing advice that I would give you: Some people feed their cats only dry food but some owners supplement with wet food (as I do). First of all, get Callie on a food-routine, meaning a set time when he is fed but do not feed him in the morning.

If you feed him in the morning when you wake up, you train him to expect it in the morning which means Callie will wake you up for it. We did this with our cat growing up and the morning yowls were well…not the way you want to get up. Anyway, now I feed my cats in the evening, usually when I get home.

The other bit of advice regarding food is that you should check the ingredient labels. Even so-called “healthy” foods like Science Diet and Iams are loaded with empty calorie fillers like corn, wheat, soybeans, etc. Real meats (as opposed to bone meal, etc) should be high up on the label. I’m a fan of the Innova line of food.