squibble, we don't have pet insurance anymore. unless, your pet has a catastrophic illness not common in their breed or a terrible accident it costs about the same to just pay for their annual physical. we had insurance for our belgian shepherd who had the canine equivalent of multiple sclerosis and it allowed him to have good treatment and good quality of life for almost 3 years, a lot wasn't covered by the insurance but it made a real difference in our options for treating him. the $288 wellness visit includes vaccinations and blood, urine and fecal testing.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got two. Scobie and BooBoo, the white cats.     Let's see Cherry! And Lucy and Mack! And Wilma, of course!

Cathy's cats are, as the young folk say, Da bomb ( that means good BTW)   I was so taken with them that i did not once wonder how they might taste or how best they could be prepared

And my two giants are always trying to stuff themselves into spaces far smaller than they are.   Thanks for the advice on falling cats, all. Glyn confirmed my fears that shorter drops are more dan

My friend Joyce found a really cute kittie in her backyard, about 2 weeks old, do anyone know of any animal rescues? ASPCA refuse to take it because it's kittie season right now.

poor sweet callie has been sleeping since she got home from the vet yesterday. this morning she tried to jump up on my bed and totally missed from 3 inches away. poor baby must be hungover from her vaccinations

poor sweet callie has been sleeping since she got home from the vet yesterday. this morning she tried to jump up on my bed and totally missed from 3 inches away. poor baby must be hungover from her vaccinations

There's one vaccine that Kitty has a bad reaction to. The first time she had it, she slept and barely ate for a day. As she got older (she's about 13 1/2 now), it took her longer and longer to get over it (the last time she had it, it was close to three days before she was back to normal). Last year, the vet switched back to the older version, and she was A-OK immediately after.

Can't remember which vaccine it was, though. Maybe FeLV?

There's one vaccine that Kitty has a bad reaction to. The first time she had it, she slept and barely ate for a day. As she got older (she's about 13 1/2 now), it took her longer and longer to get over it (the last time she had it, it was close to three days before she was back to normal). Last year, the vet switched back to the older version, and she was A-OK immediately after.

I remember a similar experience, vaguely, which of course is no help to anyone.

Getting older sucks, doesn't it? If someone had told me (in a convincing fashion) it would suck so much, I'd have taken better care of myself when I was younger. :lol:

(it's not really that bad, but I wouldn't mind being 36 again. Or maybe 31)

Getting older sucks, doesn't it? If someone had told me (in a convincing fashion) it would suck so much, I'd have taken better care of myself when I was younger. :lol:

(it's not really that bad, but I wouldn't mind being 36 again. Or maybe 31)

In my defense, this happened with a cat who is no longer with us - no one here on MF knew her, it was before those times - so it was quite a few years ago & I'm not too surprised I don't recall which vaccine it was.

But yes, as a friend of mine says, aging isn't for sissies! Almost every day I bump up against something or other that reminds me of that phrase. The rest of the time, I toss the cats around & try to enjoy myself. ;)

squibble, we don't have pet insurance anymore. unless, your pet has a catastrophic illness not common in their breed or a terrible accident it costs about the same to just pay for their annual physical. we had insurance for our belgian shepherd who had the canine equivalent of multiple sclerosis and it allowed him to have good treatment and good quality of life for almost 3 years, a lot wasn't covered by the insurance but it made a real difference in our options for treating him. the $288 wellness visit includes vaccinations and blood, urine and fecal testing.

so callie got a clean bill of health today, but justin's blood work came back showing elevated liver enzymes. expensive testing ahead...

Sorry to hear that splinky. The hardest part is seeing a pet suffer. Hope he's ok.

thanks squibble. my mom is having a hard time with it, she pretends not to really like justin, but she's had her for 12 years and it's just the two of them. mom is sort of afraid of going forward with the testing, in case of bad news.

so callie got a clean bill of health today, but justin's blood work came back showing elevated liver enzymes. expensive testing ahead...

Tell your mom to stop letting Justin sip the Martinis. Your mom can deal with them better than Justin does.

Tell your mom to stop letting Justin sip the Martinis. Your mom can deal with them better than Justin does.

thanks for your kind sympathy

• 2 weeks later...

Not a good week for pet's in my house..

My dog of 15 1/2 years died.. I got him when i was in college.. he was a husky shepard mix.. His name was Mason. He was a sweet and gentle guy. He held on for a long time and my mother took such amazing care of him. We will miss him for certain.

This morning I was told that my cat of 12 years, Miss Maya, has brain cancer. She was given 2 months to one year to live. So sad, she is not in pain.. Sitting in my office with a can of tuna, chillin.

It sucks getting old.

Well, I was lucky to get 5 more months with her, or 3 more than what we were told.. It was really upsetting as I was watching that thing on her head and it was not getting any bigger. I was pretty sure she was going to be perfectly ok.. What I didn't notice was a plum size tumor in her belly.

She was the type of cat that greeted me when I came home. She would jump on the counter and sit there meowing until I would pet her. She then would proceed to slap me with her paw when I would walk passed her. She was good at slapping, she did not have any claws but, she would smack me in the face and give a meow to let me know she was not done being pet. If I would turn my back to go into the fridge, she would put both paws on my back and sort of rub her paws against me. She would come when I called her. I would call her anywhere in the house and she would be next to me right away. She slept most nights in my bed, on my side. When I would lay on the couch, she would sit in the crook of my arm and just purr for hours.. When I pet her, she would get so into it that she would start biting me. (I would get bitten for petting and then she would bite if I would stop petting) Some times, my right hand would offend her and I was no longer allowed to pet her with my right hand, but, the left hand was perfectly ok to pet her with. She would stare intently at my right hand waiting to bite it ,while lefty got a pass. She had such attitude. For the first couple of days I would come back from a business trip, she refused to greet me. She would come up to me meowing but, would not let me pet her. She held a grudge for sure.

She let me carry her over my shoulder, she would let me throw her in the air and flip her landing on my bed and she would come back and want me to do it again. I would pick her up and put her on my should backwards facing away from me. I would then lift up her tail with my right hand and pretend I was filming using her butt as the lense and would interview my drunk friends.. She was a good sport like that. The man on the street interviews, she could have won an Emmy.

Maya was the best eater. She would eat raw meat of any kind, she was super into Doritos. Every now and then I would give her a dorito and she would lick all the cheese off it. She was a big fan of seafood of any kind. After I would make a seafood stew with shrimp and I would peel the leftover shrimp and feed them to her and lola. Lola would be on the floor and maya would be on the counter. The two of them would pretty much eat at the same pace. Her favorite thing in the world was plastic. Whatever plastic came into the house, she would eat it. I don't know why but, plastic was definitely where it was at.

She was so sweet to Miss K. I remember the first time they met.. Miss K was in awe of her and the two of them quickly became best friends. . Miss K loved her so much and we both have lost one of our best friends.

Anyway, that's a little about Miss Maya. Here is some of her fake back story that has been created over the years. Her theme song was, She's a Lady by Tom Jones. She was found in the Mayan Ruins, she came from a long line of Mayan Royalty. She was a model and an actress, singer. She had many suitors, especially in her days prior to her getting spayed. Aka Her vaginectomy. She would wear this read dress and often perform on top of a piano during her wild days. She stayed super trim and was our Little Stupid Sexy Maya.

Now she is gone and we will move on. It is still weird as you don't realize how much of your life is affected by these animals you bring into your home. This morning I noticed on two different occasions where I would have been with her. First when I woke up, I didn't have to be careful about getting out of bed. I normally look for her, but, she was not there. She would follow miss k down the stairs every morning and have breakfast with us. Again, me and Miss K both noticed, we were by ourselves.. I also saw a shadow on two occasions and thought it was her. I walked over to the one before realizing it was just a tree.

Life goes on but, she will be missed. I feel super fortunate to have had her for so long.

One last thing. One of the funniest stories I can recall with her was when I first got her. She was on the floor acting all strange. Her back leg was bent all strangely and she was crying in this guttural siren sort of way. It sounded like she was suffering. I thought she was having a stroke with the way she was moaning and the way she was bending her back legs. I didn't have a carrier so, I grabbed her in a blanket, I ran out on to 50th street and hailed a taxi. I rushed over to the animal hospital on the UES. The 24 hour one as it was like 11 o clock at night.. I run up to the front desk, I tell them my cat is having a stroke or a seizure and I need to be seen immediately.

They rush this young doctor into the room and after 2 minutes with her, he turns to me and says, well there is good news. She is not having a stroke but, there is nothing we can do for her. The only thing I can prescribed is a male cat. It appears your cat is in heat and she is just looking to get laid.