• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got two. Scobie and BooBoo, the white cats.     Let's see Cherry! And Lucy and Mack! And Wilma, of course!

Cathy's cats are, as the young folk say, Da bomb ( that means good BTW)   I was so taken with them that i did not once wonder how they might taste or how best they could be prepared

And my two giants are always trying to stuff themselves into spaces far smaller than they are.   Thanks for the advice on falling cats, all. Glyn confirmed my fears that shorter drops are more dan

Cathy, they're not shedding, right? or you just groom them every day?

Pet's hair is my worst nightmare: Cherry drove with me to some errands the other day: now i need to vacuum the whole car :sigh:

• 3 weeks later...

Can another cat owner chime in here? Scobie has started vocalizing much more frequently AND more loudly. He's just over a year old now and seems to either be more talkative or less happy. He's also nipping more, and that worries me ever so with Jack around.

Advice or 'there there's appreciated. ;)

Nipping: all cats pass through this stage. I observed my mother cat's reaction when the kittens nipped her--she knocked them ass over teakettle. So when my cats first tried to nip me, I hit them on the nose(not very hard) accompanied by a loud NO!. After a couple of repetitions they ceased. This behavior must be actively discouraged the moment it happens(any behavior you don't want them to do has to be dealt with at that moment, they have no real memory of their own behavior but they remember yours). Nipping has to be physically extinguished just as they do with each other or else it will escalate and become a real problem.

I gave an elderly relative a kitten from the litter born in my home. She was unable to do what I just suggested and a year later the result was a cat that nipped and scratched people at will, attacked ankles etc. I never had a problem with any of my cats. Also don't play with them using your fingers as bait. They will be less inclined to scratch.

For Jack's sake and your own, be vigilant and make it very clear that you won't allow it.

The vocalising is just a personality thing that comes with age to some cats. I had a female cat who was very quiet but after she gave birth she became and remained very vocal. I had a male cat who would respond vocally everytime you addressed him. We had great conversations all the time. :lol:

Thanks for that, Shermar. Our little [sic] boy is also going through a nippy phase. I haven't tried the nose bump, but a loud NO BITE! usually discourages him. I'm trying to train Roy to use the same phrase - he seems to think reasoning with Mack will work.

The NYT has an article today about living with BIG animals in cramped city apartments. Not just the food bills, exercise needs and urination, but the sheer size of a 160 pound, slobbering room mate. One guy went so far as to rent his dog a separate apartment after his wife threw the dog out. Following a marital separation, the dog now allows his master to bunk in the dog's apartment...

Dogs