• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got two. Scobie and BooBoo, the white cats.     Let's see Cherry! And Lucy and Mack! And Wilma, of course!

Cathy's cats are, as the young folk say, Da bomb ( that means good BTW)   I was so taken with them that i did not once wonder how they might taste or how best they could be prepared

And my two giants are always trying to stuff themselves into spaces far smaller than they are.   Thanks for the advice on falling cats, all. Glyn confirmed my fears that shorter drops are more dan

Helena dear, we all know how devoted you are to your three furry girls. It's hard to imagine someone could question your ability to care for them.

I'm so sorry your mom lost her pooch. Send her a hug, please. One for you too.

Helena, regarding ignorant peabrains -- don't give them the mental time of day. And very sorry about your mother's dog.

And Cathy, congratulations on your Year (more or less) of Cats. I love how your photos showcase fluffy-middleage -- don't think I could resist sticking my hand in there, passing by.

My mom lost her young dog today - fast spreading ovaries cancer.

I'm sorry for your family's loss, helena.

Ovarian cancer is not unusual among dogs, young or old. I was quite surprised to learn it's the third or fourth most common cause of death. Since it affects only half of all dogs, that becomes a very substantial killer.

My sister Beth's home has its own cat-weight-reduction-feature, which works quite well. The feeding bowls are located in the basement, which is reached by a six inch by six inch hole in the wall. The hole leads to a ramp, which angles downward along the wall to a landing and eventually to the floor of the basement. The cats feed there, and return upstairs via the ramp and the hole.

When Clyde or Bonnie (ahem) expands beyond the aforementioned six by six, the passage becomes uncomfortably tight. The cats go on the 3/4 cup regimen, until balance is restored.

Collecting cat senior from his evening promenade in the garden, I discovered to my surprise cat junior sitting on the pathway as well. Her first tumble from the windowsill for a year or so. Completely unscathed.

v

Vanessa, I am cringing in empathy. A few nights ago Lucy finally lost her footing while scampering across the staircase railing, and fell about 10 feet. She landed on all four paws and was unhurt, except for the embarrassment.

The good news is she hasn't jumped up on the railing since. Roy, on the other hand, had to be talked down from the ceiling. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hairball medicine (Petromalt) does seem to help. For one of our cats, it has become *the* preferred cat treat (the former preferred cat treat was the oldest parmesan reggiano we could find - and if heaven forbid we offered him a piece of, say, grana padano, well, he made it very clear that he wasn't interested). I seem to remember sprinkling Brewer's yeast on the food of my childhood cat, though that may have been for flea prevention?

A few weeks ago, we finally figured out that it isn't hairballs that cause the kitty bulemia at our house. Rather, if we feed the felines too late in the day their food inevitably reappears. Even though there is always food for them, and they do nibble between naps, they want a fresh bowl of kibble around 7 p.m., which is when they have the cat equivalent of a meal. If that fresh bowl comes more than an hour late...well, you get the idea.

Their bellies weren't always this sensitive. This is a relatively new development, perhaps ten months old or so. We're in the midst of testing for hyperthyroid - that may be implicated.

Petromalt is rather high in sugar. If that's a concern, there are powdered high-fiber supplements you can sprinkle on her food instead.

Wheatgrass may help too. Our kitties love it.

I feed them hairball formula dry food, mostly because it suits Mack's sensitive tummy. With all this, Lucy still upchucks a hairball every few weeks; the downside of being well-groomed, I guess. I have a great rubbery brush that grabs a lot of loose hair, but lately she doesn't like it.

• 1 month later...