The other day my pup chewed and unraveled a long thread (along the border) from a fleece throw and was swallowing it. When I caught him, I pulled it out of his mouth, and was horrified to discover it kept coming and coming out. When I finished, I measured it was 3.5 feet in length. Not a good thing, and happy I caught it in time. And a couple weeks ago we had to take him to have his stomach pumped because he ate one of my knee high stockings. They only found about 1/3, and so we were on "poop watch" until we saw the rest of it come out ok.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got two. Scobie and BooBoo, the white cats.     Let's see Cherry! And Lucy and Mack! And Wilma, of course!

Cathy's cats are, as the young folk say, Da bomb ( that means good BTW)   I was so taken with them that i did not once wonder how they might taste or how best they could be prepared

And my two giants are always trying to stuff themselves into spaces far smaller than they are.   Thanks for the advice on falling cats, all. Glyn confirmed my fears that shorter drops are more dan

The other day my pup chewed and unraveled a long thread (along the border) from a fleece throw and was swallowing it. When I caught him, I pulled it out of his mouth, and was horrified to discover it kept coming and coming out. When I finished, I measured it was 3.5 feet in length. Not a good thing, and happy I caught it in time. And a couple weeks ago we had to take him to have his stomach pumped because he ate one of my knee high stockings. They only found about 1/3, and so we were on "poop watch" until we saw the rest of it come out ok.

We once removed a yard length of string from one of the cats. Not, unfortunately, from the input end.

leslie, i'm glad it ended well but you're not actually supposed to pull string out of a dog in that way--it can lacerate their insides.

gobi is a major chewer too but luckily, she has so far restricted herself to hard substances. well, luckily for her, not for our furniture.

I remember on of my dogs swallowed something she shouldn't have. Of course it was on a Saturday evening. We called the emergency vet clinic and they suggested giving her hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. She was not happy about being forced to drink the stuff (I think I used a turkey baster) but it did the trick and she was back to normal shortly after giving up the contents of her stomach.

Please check with your veterinarian but you may want to have this method available to you if something like this happens again.

We once removed a yard length of string from one of the cats. Not, unfortunately, from the input end.

Yikes! Glad it came out ok. We've also been warned about rubber bands, dental floss, and ribbons as hazards.

It drives me nuts that my husband uses toothpicks and sometimes they find their way to the floor and Robbie finds them.

Thanks, Cathy, Robbie is doing great. However, due to his lingerie fetish, I had to put together a new elevated laundry cart!

On the bright side, he finished at the top of his class in obedience, with a score of 198/200!

edit to add: Mongo, Thank you, I was lucky, as I had not heard that before, but it makes sense. This thread was thicker than most thread, almost a thin yarn, the kind used for stitching around the edge of a fleece throw. The wet part measured 3.5' and then there was an additional attached 1.5' of dry length he was about to swallow. He has so many toys and chewies, but seems to have a knack for finding exactly what I don't want him to chew.

I remember on of my dogs swallowed something she shouldn't have. Of course it was on a Saturday evening. We called the emergency vet clinic and they suggested giving her hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. She was not happy about being forced to drink the stuff (I think I used a turkey baster) but it did the trick and she was back to normal shortly after giving up the contents of her stomach.

Please check with your veterinarian but you may want to have this method available to you if something like this happens again.

Thank you, that's a great idea. I will check with the vet on that.

We once had to do exactly the same thing, turkey baster and all, when Louie consumed a pair of silk socks as a puppy. Worked beautifully. The vet said the alternatives were major surgery or death.

Nuala (aka ADHD cat) has an obsession with carrying things -- pens, spoons, spectacles, pretty much anything she can get her jaws round. Twice now I've heard clattering in the bathroom and discovered that she's pulled the plug out of the plug hole in the bath. And I'm not talking about a little rubber plug. This is one of the heavy metal ones operated by a lever. The first time she'd also managed to carry it out of the bath.

From a dry bathtub, yes? Dear departed Spot used to carry socks all over the flat. She'd distribute an entire drawer, evenly spaced. But she never branched out beyond footwear.

BooBoo likes to play fetch. Scobie just likes to sit there.

oh, i wish alu and gobi would only carry things around. but no, they like to rip them to shreds as well. actually, we'd thought that gobi was the one who shreds everything not locked down, on occasions when we leave them both alone in the house. this because we never had this problem before we got her. but last week while mrs. jones was out, they lost track of me in the basement and after half an hour or so i heard loud rustling sounds in the living room. i sneaked up quietly to catch gobi in the act, but found this scene instead: gobi lying calmly with a newspaper partly under one paw, while alu viciously tore at it with her claws and teeth, ripping it apart like it was a bacon flavoured rabbit. my theory now is that alu is the evil genius who uses gobi to fetch things for her to destroy.

basically, everything has to be kept out of their reach when we're not home. and gobi's got quite a reach.