The New Yorker

The May 19 issue featured an article which to me really captured the essence of why I love The New Yorker. The article was titled A Voice from the Past by Alec Wilkinson and is about an experimental physicist named Carl Haber, who work on the Higgs Boson, who after hearing Mickey Hart talk about the deterioration of musical archives realized that some of the tools he uses in his work could be applied to saving these archives. Fascinating article that I recommend if you haven't gotten to it yet.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I meant to make a laudatory post last week to the effect that, where other than The New Yorker might you find a smart, funny, informative article on a literary figure as obscure as Alfred Lord Dunsany

I took that test when we applied to adopt! Picture was from the 30's: any idiot could tell that you were supposed to translate the stallion and the shirtless man in the picture into something sexual.

Mitchell is right on this precise point, though: as a classical music fan, I find its use in classical venues to be an outrage.

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw that Argosy, that unsung treasure of a bookstore--which certainly outlasted Gotham--is featured in the new issue. I think it was Judith, among the owners, who I persuaded to give me a nice discount on a complete hardcover set of Conrad missing only The Secret Agent.

I just saw that Argosy, that unsung treasure of a bookstore--which certainly outlasted Gotham--is featured in the new issue. I think it was Judith, among the owners, who I persuaded to give me a nice discount on a complete hardcover set of Conrad missing only The Secret Agent.

I haven't finished it yet, but what a lovely piece.

It struck me, in reading it, that knowing the Cohen sisters is sort of like knowing the Russ daughters. We don't appreciate what we have, but overvalue what we just missed.

Of course, I knew their parents, too. It actually took me a while to figure out that Miss Shevin -- never "Ms." -- was Lou's wife.

Janet Malcolm should have checked, however, before she condescended to the business on the second floor of the nondescript low-rise next door as "a business that rents tuxedos and does 'expert tailoring and alterations'". Her scare quotes notwithstanding, John's is an estimable shop that has in fact done expert tailoring and alterations for both me and members of the Rockefeller family. I don't want to go all Jeremiah Moss on you, but it's one of those treasurable businesses that -- like the Argosy -- New York will be poorer without.

(Surely it was a sad day when Del Floria's closed near the U.N.)

I concur with everything. Argosy was never talked about as much as Gotham Book Mart (deceased), and it deserved this tribute. I didn't know the family story. I can't tell you how many books I have which are excellent, hardcover reading copies from that Selected Reading shelf.

I would just say the story downplays the basement. Many visitors never head down there, and they are seriously missing out.

I concur with everything. Argosy was never talked about as much as Gotham Book Mart (deceased), and it deserved this tribute. I didn't know the family story. I can't tell you how many books I have which are excellent, hardcover reading copies from that Selected Reading shelf.

I would just say the story downplays the basement. Many visitors never head down there, and they are seriously missing out.

I have spent way too much money over the years on books from the basement.

• 1 month later...

You read David Remnick's Putin/Russia piece, and you remember what a supremely great journalist he is.

I still think it's worth it, losing his regular output so he can be the best New Yorker editor since William Shawn.

But that piece does give you pause.