Wilfrid1

The New Yorker

I decided to print the article out and make it today's subway reading. Here's something I never knew before - Ted Williams actually wanted to play for the Yanks. :ph43r:

It's a good piece.

• Like 3

On the bright side, if the New Yorker stopped publishing, I'd maybe have a chance to get through sixty years of back issues...oh, that's still three thousand or more...no, forget it...

:angry:

On the bright side, if the New Yorker stopped publishing, I'd maybe have a chance to get through sixty years of back issues...oh, that's still three thousand or more...no, forget it...

The New Yorker has launched an online subscription service, which should do well, especially for people who travel a lot. I wouldn't be surprised to see fewer complete article in the free online section down the road. I can't imagine they'd consider discontinuing the paper edition, but a more robust online presence, perhaps with unpublished materials, could be attractive to may readers.

They already have some of their writers producing pretty good blogs. Steve Coll and George Packer for example.

...if the New Yorker stopped publishing...

This is unthinkable. Sorry, it's just unthinkable.

It hasn't been mentioned on the various lists of magazines that Conde Nast might shut down.

My sense, FWIW, is that Newhouse views it as a crown jewel.

It is, isn't it? Yet the New York Times stopping publishing would have been unthinkable a few years ago. I am not saying it's likely to happen, but somewhere along the way it got perfectly thinkable.

It is, isn't it? Yet the New York Times stopping publishing would have been unthinkable a few years ago. I am not saying it's likely to happen, but somewhere along the way it got perfectly thinkable.

Did this actually go forward?

Did this actually go forward?

There's an agreement in principle, but the boards have not made a final acceptance. Many investors believe it will go through in about its present configuration.

I decided to print the article out and make it today's subway reading. Here's something I never knew before - Ted Williams actually wanted to play for the Yanks. :ph43r:

It's a good piece.

I found the whole piece in my Library of America Baseball Literary Anthology last night. :)

Back to the original subtitle of the thread.

Well done Dan Chiasson and the New Yorker's legendary fact checkers.

In an otherwise interesting article on the Greek poet Cavafy, Chiasson changes W.B. Yeats into Delmore Schwartz. The phrase "In dreams begin responsibilities" was doubtless derived by Schwartz from Yeats, but the original is "In dreams begins responsibility."