The New Yorker

don't you wish more people would come to this conclusion:

“I’m not crazy about going into a recording studio and doing that kind of life again,” he told me one day. “Or taking on another project where there’s other people involved—arrangers and orchestrators and conductors and producers. I don’t want to deal with it. It’s a megillah. You have to have a certain amount of ambition to want to do all that. And I look back at the guy who was the recording artist, this Billy Joel guy, and I think, Who the fuck was that guy? He was very ambitious, very driven, and I don’t feel like that anymore.”

Joel maintains that there’s discipline in it. “Over the years, Elton would say, ‘Why don’t you make more albums?’ And I’d say, ‘Why don’t you make less?’ ”

He went on, “Some people think it’s because I’m lazy or I’m just being contrary. But, no, I think it’s just—I’ve had my say. If I put out an album now, it would probably sell pretty well, because of who I am, but that’s no reason to do it. I’d want it to be good. And I’ve seen artists on that treadmill, putting out albums year after year, and the albums get worse and worse, less and less interesting, and it’s, like, maybe you should stop.”

YES! (Maybe a living white rock bass player.) (Maybe every rock musician over 65 except for Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan.)

• Like 1
  • Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I meant to make a laudatory post last week to the effect that, where other than The New Yorker might you find a smart, funny, informative article on a literary figure as obscure as Alfred Lord Dunsany

I took that test when we applied to adopt! Picture was from the 30's: any idiot could tell that you were supposed to translate the stallion and the shirtless man in the picture into something sexual.

Mitchell is right on this precise point, though: as a classical music fan, I find its use in classical venues to be an outrage.

I never bought a Billy Joel album but I never hated him. "New York State of Mind" and "Just the Way You Are" are terrific songs. "Goodnight Saigon" captured the horror and futility of the Vietnam war better than almost any other song. I give the man his due.

• Like 1

The current edition of the New Yorker is their annual food issue. Thankfully they didn't devote an article to kale but they did cover gluten extensively.

Against the Grain

It's a pretty good article as far as it goes. It summarizes the anti position pretty well and extensively covers the main stream scientific view that gluten phobia is overblown. The writer seems like an intelligent guy who is perfectly capable of parsing the arguments right up until the final paragraphs when he says he's going to stop adding extra gluten to his home made bread. It's almost as if he didn't read his own article.

• Like 1

i think what most people who dislike billy joel (me, for example) really dislike is that we find his songs all too fucking catchy even though he is the very opposite of cool. he's kind of an unironic donald fagen.

Funny. I feel that way about Michael Jackson. The songs are brilliant but I always thought they were concocted in some type of sonic junk food factory.

• Like 1

i think what most people who dislike billy joel (me, for example) really dislike is that we find his songs all too fucking catchy even though he is the very opposite of cool. he's kind of an unironic donald fagen.

Funny. I feel that way about Michael Jackson. The songs are brilliant but I always thought they were concocted in some type of sonic junk food factory.

If so, it was like the best junk food in history.

I never bought a Billy Joel album but I never hated him. "New York State of Mind" and "Just the Way You Are" are terrific songs.

Mm, you'd need a lot of energy to bother to hate him. The article is very funny on that latter song too (don't want to spoil it for people).

You didn't grow up on Long Island.

Yeah. Self-loathing.

I love mongos description, but I sort of like joel despite that. Also I grew up quite close to centre island. The article downplays how ludicrous it is. He's hardly the only guy to chopper to the city from there.

But there are people who grew up out there who can't wait to leave. There are people who he up out there who left because it was time to leave. Id guess the first group feels like Sneak does while the second has my view. Fun not very cool solid pop but nothing objectionable.