The New Yorker

the problem with your pistols/damned analogy is that the beatles proved to be both more culturally significant and influential than their peers (as the sex pistols have over the damned) and more musically accomplished than almost all of them (as the damned were over the pistols).

I don't detect anything there I wouldn't agree with, except the ludicrous claim that The Damned were more musically accomplished than the Pistols. I don't think Captain Sensible has done much session work for other bands. :D

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I meant to make a laudatory post last week to the effect that, where other than The New Yorker might you find a smart, funny, informative article on a literary figure as obscure as Alfred Lord Dunsany

I took that test when we applied to adopt! Picture was from the 30's: any idiot could tell that you were supposed to translate the stallion and the shirtless man in the picture into something sexual.

Mitchell is right on this precise point, though: as a classical music fan, I find its use in classical venues to be an outrage.

Posted Images

the problem with your pistols/damned analogy is that the beatles proved to be both more culturally significant and influential than their peers (as the sex pistols have over the damned) and more musically accomplished than almost all of them (as the damned were over the pistols).

I don't detect anything there I wouldn't agree with, except the ludicrous claim that The Damned were more musically accomplished than the Pistols. I don't think Captain Sensible has done much session work for other bands. :D

i meant in the sense that the first damned album has much more interesting stuff happening on it musically than /never mind the bollocks/ does (which is not to say it's better or more exciting).

In January, when David O. Russell’s Oscar contender was in theaters, Brodeur told the Huffington Post that the film had incorrectly appropriated the faulty science to him.

Don't appropriate that to me.

But seriously, does the lawsuit contend that statements made by a fictional character in a movie can't be false or misleading? Are attorneys even now scouring the script of Dumb and Dumber Too?

In January, when David O. Russell’s Oscar contender was in theaters, Brodeur told the Huffington Post that the film had incorrectly appropriated the faulty science to him.

Don't appropriate that to me.

But seriously, does the lawsuit contend that statements made by a fictional character in a movie can't be false or misleading? Are attorneys even now scouring the script of Dumb and Dumber Too?

:D

Brodeur is an excellent writer but was less impressive in a 1980s community meeting. He presented information on electromagnetic fields from overhead power lines. He visited Livingston NJ to speak on a proposal to increase the voltage carried in overhead wires. Some residents were in an uproar about the proposal which passed near an elementary school.

The studies referenced were very small samples, and unconvincing to anyone but true believers. The lines were upgraded then, and have been upgraded again to some enormous voltage. And 30-35 year old Livingston adults do not glow in the dark.

But, I'd still read anything he writes, on any subject.