The New Yorker

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I meant to make a laudatory post last week to the effect that, where other than The New Yorker might you find a smart, funny, informative article on a literary figure as obscure as Alfred Lord Dunsany

I took that test when we applied to adopt! Picture was from the 30's: any idiot could tell that you were supposed to translate the stallion and the shirtless man in the picture into something sexual.

Mitchell is right on this precise point, though: as a classical music fan, I find its use in classical venues to be an outrage.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Had a very hard time with the New Yorker food issue, which I'd saved up for a trip this week. Started bad with Nicola Twilley thinking olfaction, like touch or hearing, is something other than the sense of taste. Worse, though, Michael Specter's article on fast food which it's hard to believe was read and edited. Almost every paragraph has something quesionable. Example: because it is introducing supposedly more nutritious dishes to its menus,

McDonald’s risks losing not only younger customers but also its core clients.

Why? I mean...just why? If there was a hint that the traditional menu was being eliminated, cut, or more highly priced...but no. So why?

And then there's a passage on evolution which is just deeply puzzling.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a sentence from Alexandra Schwartz's piece on the night of the shootings in Paris that left me open-mouthed:

Taïa is at once an outsider and an insider. He finds the prospect of living in Morocco inconceivable—he is gay...

Perhaps he's crossed San Francisco and Sydney off his list too.

ETA: From a quick look around, there seems to be more repression than in the past. Okay.

• 3 months later...

I don't understand how someone writes close to 2,000 words on whether Go players have a future post-AlphaGo: http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/in-the-age-of-google-deepmind-do-the-young-go-prodigies-of-asia-have-a-future

This is actually a failure of Betteridge's law, to boot. Okay, so yes, chess eventually gets mentioned, but one could get the entirety of the actual point across in four words: "Yes – look at chess."

• 3 weeks later...