Wilfrid1

The New Yorker

the new yorker publishes food pieces by priya krishna. i offer this as clarifying context.

The only way I can explain it is, they’re trying to attract younger readers. (Which is not flattering towards younger readers.)

My New Yorkers arrive a week later than in the US, so always playing catch up here...

do they assimilate Popol Vuh or Can? (Amanda won’t know.)

Neu!

Yes, and one can only assume the upper editorial echelons can’t tell good from bad. It would hardly be difficult to find a good writer to cover pop.

Is that an offer?!

Esquire had an amazing period in which they had Christgau on music and Dwight MacDonald on film.  Good stuff.

I am out of touch now with what they should be covering, but I couldn’t have swung that naive waffle past my editor when I wrote (as I did) for the world’s leading music weekly.

Another really weak piece leading off the fiction issue, Valeria Liuselli on a re-creation of the OK Corral gunfight in Tombstone.

She mentions civil war re-enactments, but doesn't seem familiar with the idea of historical re-enactments in general.  They're not obscure hobbies; they're really, really common as tourist attractions.  Maybe she hasn't been to Philadelphia.

It's hardly surprising that Tombstone should have picked that incident to put on a show for tourists, nor is it surprising that guns are involved.

She tries to connect all this with current political topics, but it's all very tenuous. Yes, a lot of people in Arizona carry guns, but it didn't need this article to tell us that.

Worst of all, it's written in the present tense.  Not New Yorker style.

Learn the meanings of several Japanese cooking terms in the new Table for Two (on Maison Yaki). I guess chawan mushi might be a mystery for readers. “Barigoule” gets glossed too.

Ah, but: “Gribiche, a French tartar sauce with eggs.” Ms Henderson, tartare sauce is French.