The New Yorker

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I meant to make a laudatory post last week to the effect that, where other than The New Yorker might you find a smart, funny, informative article on a literary figure as obscure as Alfred Lord Dunsany

I took that test when we applied to adopt! Picture was from the 30's: any idiot could tell that you were supposed to translate the stallion and the shirtless man in the picture into something sexual.

Mitchell is right on this precise point, though: as a classical music fan, I find its use in classical venues to be an outrage.

The only way I can explain it is, they’re trying to attract younger readers. (Which is not flattering towards younger readers.)

My New Yorkers arrive a week later than in the US, so always playing catch up here...

• 4 weeks later...

Another really weak piece leading off the fiction issue, Valeria Liuselli on a re-creation of the OK Corral gunfight in Tombstone.

She mentions civil war re-enactments, but doesn't seem familiar with the idea of historical re-enactments in general.  They're not obscure hobbies; they're really, really common as tourist attractions.  Maybe she hasn't been to Philadelphia.

It's hardly surprising that Tombstone should have picked that incident to put on a show for tourists, nor is it surprising that guns are involved.

She tries to connect all this with current political topics, but it's all very tenuous. Yes, a lot of people in Arizona carry guns, but it didn't need this article to tell us that.

Worst of all, it's written in the present tense.  Not New Yorker style.

Learn the meanings of several Japanese cooking terms in the new Table for Two (on Maison Yaki). I guess chawan mushi might be a mystery for readers. “Barigoule” gets glossed too.

Ah, but: “Gribiche, a French tartar sauce with eggs.” Ms Henderson, tartare sauce is French.

• 2 months later...