The New Yorker

Will do.

I liked that Remnick wrote the Comment and that he found a perfect quote from E.B. White. That sense of continuity is reassuring right now.

So I read the Remnick piece aloud to Significant Eater at breakfast this morning, and couldn't get through it without crying a bit. 

And then more when I decamped to the kitchen, alone.

• Like 1
  • Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I meant to make a laudatory post last week to the effect that, where other than The New Yorker might you find a smart, funny, informative article on a literary figure as obscure as Alfred Lord Dunsany

I took that test when we applied to adopt! Picture was from the 30's: any idiot could tell that you were supposed to translate the stallion and the shirtless man in the picture into something sexual.

Mitchell is right on this precise point, though: as a classical music fan, I find its use in classical venues to be an outrage.

So I read the Remnick piece aloud to Significant Eater at breakfast this morning, and couldn't get through it without crying a bit. 

And then more when I decamped to the kitchen, alone.

I have given up trying to read poignant pieces to Chuck.   I just hand him the section and leave the room.   

I worked at Beth Israel in the early 90's, as an administrative assistant to the chief of infectious diseases. My boss ran the clinical trials for AIDS patients, when AZT was still called ZDV. She and Tony Fauci spoke pretty much every day.

Fuck.  So the reason my omelettes are sub-par is because I use a whisk instead of a fork?  But I have a plastic (or rather some miracle material) whisk, whereas my forks are all metal.  Yet I make my omelettes, as everyone tells me to, in a non-stick pan.  If you're not a famous chef getting constant freebies (or deducting the cost of pans as a business expense), how do you use a fork to mess around eggs in a non-stick pan, without quickly ruining the pan?  (I guess I need to find a miracle-material fork.)

use a silicone spatula after using a fork in a bowl. You'll be fine - even if Joe is obviously correct.

Yeah that’s what i do as well. The whisk is bad because it over-aerates the eggs (before they hit the pan.)

And by the way I used to do them with a fork in a special seasoned non-non-stick pan. But then I got a life or something.