The New Yorker

My excitement at seeing an article about the great Dusty Springfield, tempered by the dawning realization that it’s written by Amanda Petrusich.

And indeed Amanda has discovered Dusty and correctly detected that “Dusty in Memphis” was her career peak.

But this is all new to Amanda, isn’t it? She’s never really heard of Dusty Springfield. In the early eighties there were “a few buoyant experiments with disco.” Okay, like the titanic “What Have I Done to Deserve This?” Amanda isn’t disdaining that, she’s just doesn’t know about it. Similarly, while it might not be necessary to mention Dusty’s being somewhat boldly out about her same sex relationships — even though it might have something to do with her artistic choices — I have a dollar says Amanda don’t know about that neither.

Plus the sad sense that the New Yorker has no editor capable of correcting this drivel.

• Like 2
  • Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I meant to make a laudatory post last week to the effect that, where other than The New Yorker might you find a smart, funny, informative article on a literary figure as obscure as Alfred Lord Dunsany

I took that test when we applied to adopt! Picture was from the 30's: any idiot could tell that you were supposed to translate the stallion and the shirtless man in the picture into something sexual.

Mitchell is right on this precise point, though: as a classical music fan, I find its use in classical venues to be an outrage.

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

My excitement at seeing an article about the great Dusty Springfield, tempered by the dawning realization that it’s written by Amanda Petrusich.

Thanks for the laugh.

Dusty was so great; Sneakeater and I (a while ago) were discussing just how great an album Dusty in Memphis is.

1 hour ago, Wilfrid said:

Oh it is indeed.

You know what's weird; I hadn't seen the article and I was discussing it with Sig Eater, and then I'm looking around and it's not in any of the New Yorker mags lying around the apartment.  I go out for a walk (OK, a shopping expedition), check the mail when I get home, and there, on Saturday, is this week's New Yorker!

• Like 1

That Dusty Springfield piece is also kind of misleading.  Reading it, you'd think the compilation under immediate review included all of Dusty in Memphis, when all it has are the A and B-sides of the singles released from it.

I like the NYT online crossword, because I can play against the clock. I compete fiercely against myself. My goal is always to beat my average time for each day of the week, which gets harder as I get better. This is my Soulcycle. My thighs are no stronger, but I get to learn about world currencies and where Tampa is in relation to Orlando.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

I don't so crosswords, but I went to a talk given by Will Shortz about designing them which was fascinating.

I have a friend who creates them and has had several published in the Times. It's a crazy hobby.