The New Yorker

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I meant to make a laudatory post last week to the effect that, where other than The New Yorker might you find a smart, funny, informative article on a literary figure as obscure as Alfred Lord Dunsany

I took that test when we applied to adopt! Picture was from the 30's: any idiot could tell that you were supposed to translate the stallion and the shirtless man in the picture into something sexual.

Mitchell is right on this precise point, though: as a classical music fan, I find its use in classical venues to be an outrage.

Posted Images

48 minutes ago, SLBunge said:

Interesting to reread Anthony Bourdain's 21 year old piece about cooking at Les Halles. So much of what we wrote about that was fresh and exciting at the time is so well understood and overexposed now.

One Day and One Night in Hell's Kitchen

And he actually was cooking. At least on the lunch shift.

22 hours ago, SLBunge said:

Interesting to reread Anthony Bourdain's 21 year old piece about cooking at Les Halles. So much of what we wrote about that was fresh and exciting at the time is so well understood and overexposed now.

The Bourdain piece was worth a re-read, and I don't recall the Centro Vasco feature. The rest seemed very familiar. Oh, except the Didion piece which didn't really interest me. These archive issues have downsides for readers who have subscribed for...let's just say a number of years.

On 9/8/2021 at 12:01 PM, SLBunge said:

Interesting to reread Anthony Bourdain's 21 year old piece about cooking at Les Halles. So much of what he wrote about that was fresh and exciting at the time is so well understood and overexposed now.

He fleshed out that story for the Kitchen Confidential book, and it was interesting to compare the two versions.

I glanced at Kelefa Sanneh's punk memoir in the new issue, and my eye immediately fell upon an absurd statement about a Sex Pistols song -- absurd on its face, and actually contradicted by Greil Marcus in a book cited by Sanneh in the very next paragraph.*

I am steeling myself to read the rest.

*I don't go into detail because this is not a good week to be discussing "Bodies."

He thinks the Red Hot Chili Peppers were punk rock. 

The piece also reminds the reader that he would have been one year old in 1977. This leads him to describe the Ramones as “elderly,” which of course they were not when they recorded the important albums.

Gets better after that.

• 1 month later...

Nobody needs to hear my opinion of that lengthy hagiography Remnick perpetrated last week on the subject of Macca.* **

But following it up with a piece by Macca in this week's issue jumpeth the shark.

He must be the most important person the magazine has ever covered.

*Okay, it did include this guaramteed Pete Best-free sentence 'In 1960, the Quarry Men renamed themselves the Beatles and, two years later, nicked a crack drummer from Rory Storm and the Hurricanes named Richard Starkey, who went by Ringo Starr."

** And if you're going to mention the Liverpool Oratorio at all, say something about its critical reception.