The New Yorker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I meant to make a laudatory post last week to the effect that, where other than The New Yorker might you find a smart, funny, informative article on a literary figure as obscure as Alfred Lord Dunsany

I took that test when we applied to adopt! Picture was from the 30's: any idiot could tell that you were supposed to translate the stallion and the shirtless man in the picture into something sexual.

Mitchell is right on this precise point, though: as a classical music fan, I find its use in classical venues to be an outrage.

Posted Images

This week's issue is the first ever New Yorker dedicated to games and puzzles.  As someone who's had a GAMES Magazine subscription since 1983 and who gets the Sunday Times delivered primary to do the puzzle on paper, I so can't wait to get my copy. 

3 hours ago, StephanieL said:

This week's issue is the first ever New Yorker dedicated to games and puzzles.  As someone who's had a GAMES Magazine subscription since 1983 and who gets the Sunday Times delivered primary to do the puzzle on paper, I so can't wait to get my copy. 

You have a Games magazine subscription? I've wondered what happened to that magazine. I was a subscriber in the 80s as well.

17 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

You have a Games magazine subscription? I've wondered what happened to that magazine. I was a subscriber in the 80s as well.

It morphed into GAMES World of Puzzles several years ago, but yes it's alive and well.

• 4 weeks later...

Novelist Hanya Yanagihara lives in a “narrow” SoHo loft she calls her “pod.” Yet bisecting the living room is a double-sided bookcase containing 10,000 books.

I estimate I own around 3,300 books. They fill extensive floor to ceiling bookcases around a far from narrow room and spill over into three more large bookcases in another room. 

Yet she fits three times that number into her narrow pod. Perhaps the ceiling is dizzyingly high and she fetches from the top shelves using long ladders. Perhaps the bookshelves bisects the apartment front to rear and the apartment is very long as well as narrow.

Perhaps the writer took her word for it and doesn’t know what 10,000 books would look like.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/01/17/hanya-yanagiharas-audience-of-one

That is indeed possible, but if you can fit 10,000 books in a bisecting double-sided bookshelf the apartment is vast. I am obsessed with how much space books take up for obvious reasons.

14 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

In the old days, they'd have had a fact checker go to her apartment and count them.

I'm in the midst of reading A Carnival of Snackery by David Sedaris. Here's a related excerpt: 

March 14, 2009
London

A New Yorker fact checker phoned Bob Evans and asked if he'd really taken me to Costco at the start of my book tour. "And you were looking for light bulbs? And you bought strawberries?"

Bob verified the story, and then the guy called Costco and learned they do not sell five-pound boxes of strawberries. "You'll have to change that to a four-pound box," I was told.

I'd written that i bought a gross of condoms, meaning, to me, a big boxful. I don't know how many were in there, but according to the fact checker a gross is a dozen dozen, or 144. I can't say gross unless it was an actual gross, so I'm changing it to "a mess" which makes it sound like the condoms were already used.

18 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

In the old days, they'd have had a fact checker go to her apartment and count them.

I am really concerned about the centrifugal force of William Shawn spinning in his grave at every “fuck” and “shit” in the magazine. I even found myself recently thinking that the profanities added nothing to some anecdote or other. It was something  in the parenting article.

Ha!

From the parenting article: “…investigating his father’s discomfort rather than just being a racist little shit.”

That’s not a quote from anyone; it’s a phrase chosen by the writer.

• 3 weeks later...

I think if Sneak reads the James Wood piece about Led Zeppelin his head will explode. Mine did and I am just cleaning up the mess.

To describe the band’s relentless plagiarism of blues and folk artists as a “homage” is nauseating. And there is no valid comparison between blues artists recycling each other’s riffs and lyrics and those riffs and lyrics being stolen (not “cleverly raided,” stolen) by wealthy white men.

I would also say he is wrong about The Who’s musicianship, and that people who should know - even the otherwise odious Eric Clapton - take a much dimmer view of Bonham as a “virtuoso.”