• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes in life, you come across a situation, and you just want to yell, "Hey! Asshole!"   And not just when reading food boards.   I'm on an airplane and there's this gunner-kid next to me.

Yeah, the "Mister Asshole to you" was a dead giveaway. That's why I'm wondering why I ever thought otherwise. I better get the testosterone detector on my DSL checked.

Hey Asshole!   Cover your mouth when you cough repeatedly while sitting/standing/exercising near me. Thank you.

I'd have walked out, too.

But if I had already paid, I'd have firmly but politely said, "Excuse me, can I get my bagel please?"

Whether paid or not, I'd also be writing a letter to management.

I hadn't paid yet; I was waiting in line to pay and get the bagel. Which was my dilemma: they'd already toasted the bagel, and it was presumably going to go to waste. I don't think I have the energy to write a letter to the managment... just to bitch about it on an internet forum.

Okay, I'll leave it up to y'all to decide on the asshole here.

I'm at the bagel place. Order my bagel (toasted, cream cheese), but before I can get it, a few more people come in and the employee starts filling their orders before she fills mine. Which is irritating, but fine, I'll wait. Eventually, there are four people waiting in line to get our bagels-- which we can see behind the counter-- and pay. We wait. She starts cleaning up a small coffee spill. We wait some more. She takes an empty coffee urn and moves it to the sink. We're still waiting. She rinses out her rag in the sink and starts cleaning the space where the empty urn had been.

At that point, I'd been waiting about ten minutes and figured I'd wasted enough time. I didn't really want the bagel that much, and this woman didn't really want to sell it to me. So I walked out.

So was I an asshole? Should I have told this woman to get a move on and help her customers? Asked to see her manager? What were my responsibilities as a customer when faced with terrible service?

Did you try, "excuse me . . . . "

Well, if it was already toasted, I'd have done the "Excuse me, I'd like my bagel" but if it had been sitting there for more than a minute, I'd have wanted a new one because stale toasted bagels are almost as bad as stale untoasted bagels. Or I'd have gotten her attention and told her I was leaving, but I wouldn't have given her time to respond. I'd just have left.

I hate people who don't give a crap about their jobs. Even if they are crappy jobs, at least they have a job. And you should always do your best, even if what you're doing is not what you want to be doing.

You wont eat a toasted bagel one minute out of the toaster? Or even 5? You do realize that that bagel was probably sitting around in a bin for a few hours before it was sliced and toasted. And, there were probably mouse turds in the bin.

Do you really think this woman was just being a twat and didn't want to give people their bagels? Or maybe, being imperfect like all of us but Jesus, she just fucking forgot or got distracted. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to do anything to dampen y'alls inclination to run here and complain about shit.

You wont eat a toasted bagel one minute out of the toaster? Or even 5? You do realize that that bagel was probably sitting around in a bin for a few hours before it was sliced and toasted. And, there were probably mouse turds in the bin.

Do you really think this woman was just being a twat and didn't want to give people their bagels? Or maybe, being imperfect like all of us but Jesus, she just fucking forgot or got distracted. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to do anything to dampen y'alls inclination to run here and complain about shit.

I'm going to bookmark this so the next time you bitch about some service issue I can quote it back to you.

Please do.

For instance. The service last night at Mehtaphor sucked. The wait staff, although friendly, was utterly inattentive -- although they understandably devoted a lot of time servicing the table of a well-recognizable food critic. The food took a surprisingly long time. I didn't complain about it, to them or here because I understand that going to a restaurant in the first few weeks is bound to meet with some service issues. Shit happens.

I'm going to bookmark this so the next time you bitch about some service issue I can quote it back to you.

How do you do that? Sounds handy.

Please do.

For instance. The service last night at Mehtaphor sucked. The wait staff, although friendly, was utterly inattentive -- although they understandably devoted a lot of time servicing the table of a well-recognizable food critic. The food took a surprisingly long time. I didn't complain about it, to them or here because I understand that going to a restaurant in the first few weeks is bound to meet with some service issues. Shit happens.

Gael Greene mentioned something similar on her blog piece about the new Dinosaur. Server #1 offers her a menu and takes the drink order. Server #2 shows up to introduce herself.

"What happened to our first waitress?"

"The boss decided you're somebody important, so he asked me to take your table."

No, I do not "get Jerry Garcia all the time" and there was really no reason to yell that at me from across the crowded room at the SFMoMA even if I did.

:lol:

(I assume you were there for the witch movies... did you happen to see the Klee prints?)

(Edit: Oh wait -- the witch movies are next Thursday. Why were you there? Did you happen to see the Klee prints?)