I'm not the kind of person who buys a dress, keeps the tags on, and returns it when I'm done. I don't take advantage of liberal return policies to return something after it breaks because of my own actions, or if I just don't like it anymore. And I know it makes me judgmental, but I think people who do things like that are assholes.

I'm with you, sister.

Since when is there anything wrong with returning a purchase because you can get a better one, cheaper?

And what's the point of posting here, when you've already posted on eGullet?

Is this not the asshole thread where one can post about asshole-like behaviour? That it happened to be referring to someone on eG is irrelevant to me. I just think it's an asshole thing to do.

There's nothing wrong with returning an unused item because you can get a better one cheaper. But there is something wrong with returning a well-used item only because you can get a better one, cheaper. Actually, in this case, it's not even a better one that you're getting. It's the exact same model that has been refurbished (although you could argue that it's better because it has an extended warranty).

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes in life, you come across a situation, and you just want to yell, "Hey! Asshole!"   And not just when reading food boards.   I'm on an airplane and there's this gunner-kid next to me.

Yeah, the "Mister Asshole to you" was a dead giveaway. That's why I'm wondering why I ever thought otherwise. I better get the testosterone detector on my DSL checked.

Hey Asshole!   Cover your mouth when you cough repeatedly while sitting/standing/exercising near me. Thank you.

I'm not the kind of person who buys a dress, keeps the tags on, and returns it when I'm done. I don't take advantage of liberal return policies to return something after it breaks because of my own actions, or if I just don't like it anymore. And I know it makes me judgmental, but I think people who do things like that are assholes.

I'm with you, sister.

selfish returns seem like a common occurrence a costco

just because you can do something doesn't make it right.

and that is a mind blowing deal on the blendtec. i sort of want one, but i won't try to return my almost 25 year old kitchenaid, for a full refund, to get one.

There was a guy who returned a dozen or so bags of hot dog and hamburger buns that had gone mouldy. I think he bought them for a picnic, and probably left them in the trunk of his car and forgot about them. I don't understand people who do things like that, but I suppose I don't have to. Except one of the reasons I end up paying more for an item down the road is because of people who do things like that, so I think I get to be at least a little annoyed about it.

Not about a-holes at all, but that made me wonder: does anyone know if torakris and her family are okay? (I'm assuming they're still in Japan.)

They're all OK. Her husband was working in Tokyo when it happened, so he was stuck there for a bit. But he finally managed to make it home. Their home is OK, too.

I knew someone whose husband purchased a new camera just before each vacation and then returned the camera right after, claiming he was unhappy with it. The wife boasted to me about how law-abiding and moral she was, yet she saw nothing wrong with her husband doing that.

I'm with you, sister.

selfish returns seem like a common occurrence a costco

just because you can do something doesn't make it right.

and that is a mind blowing deal on the blendtec. i sort of want one, but i won't try to return my almost 25 year old kitchenaid, for a full refund, to get one.

There was a guy who returned a dozen or so bags of hot dog and hamburger buns that had gone mouldy. I think he bought them for a picnic, and probably left them in the trunk of his car and forgot about them. I don't understand people who do things like that, but I suppose I don't have to. Except one of the reasons I end up paying more for an item down the road is because of people who do things like that, so I think I get to be at least a little annoyed about it.

about a million years ago, i was a divisional manager at bloomingdale's, so i mostly made decisions about floor disputes and returns. i wouldn't wish the job on my worst enemy. anyway, bloomingdale's was famous, in those days, for its ultra liberal return policy. bought it at macy's, we'll take it back here at bloomie's. wore a bathing suit for 10 seasons and the elastic is powder and there's a big hole in the crotch and some dna evidence, we'll exchange it for a new one of equal value. bring in some perfume or makeup marked as a promotional item from your husband's cosmetics factory and we'll do the math and figure out a dollar amount for your refund. wave around a card showing that you spend in the neighborhood of 10k or more and we'll even take back an obviously shoplifted, one of a kind item, with the sensor still attached and give you the original and not the mark down price and we won't even call the cops on you. it was a golden age in shopping delight

• 2 weeks later...

This last night in the bar at Hotel Griffou, bursting the happy oyster-and-champagne-filled bubble I was afloat in.

A group, and there were only four of them but they produced as much volume as a marching band, of hedge fund managers. Three guys and a woman with a shrieking laugh, talking or rather yelling shop. I know that one of them worked at one of the most high profile and successful funds ever because in the course of twenty minutes or so he mentioned it at least a half dozen times each time at the top of his lungs. The equivalent of standing in the middle of the room, calling attention everybody LOOK AT ME because I make AT THE VERY LEAST 5 million a year! Asshole. Oh, and if someone who curses as much as I do thinks you're overusing the f word a bit it's time to expand your vocabulary, motherfucker.

This last night in the bar at Hotel Griffou, bursting the happy oyster-and-champagne-filled bubble I was afloat in.

A group, and there were only four of them but they produced as much volume as a marching band, of hedge fund managers. Three guys and a woman with a shrieking laugh, talking or rather yelling shop. I know that one of them worked at one of the most high profile and successful funds ever because in the course of twenty minutes or so he mentioned it at least a half dozen times each time at the top of his lungs. The equivalent of standing in the middle of the room, calling attention everybody LOOK AT ME because I make AT THE VERY LEAST 5 million a year! Asshole. Oh, and if someone who curses as much as I do thinks you're overusing the f word a bit it's time to expand your vocabulary, motherfucker.

loathesome. I can only guess the shop.

OTOH, a couple of months ago, during one of the blizzards, in that same general area you could have seen a clearly on-duty cab ask me where I was going and refuse me entry when I said "Brooklyn." You then could have seen me throw a snowball at one of the cab's windows. Then you could have seen the driver get out, approach me, and threaten me physically.

Fuck him. Let him try. I've always wanted to own a medallion.

To the woman in the toyota this morning...

No there was not enough room for me to pass between the parked car and the garbage truck. Yes, I heard you honk the first time, so I moved up a little bit to let you know I was paying attention. As you continued to honk, there was still not enough room. When there was enough room for me to proceed, I did so. As I went slowly over the speed bump and you honked again all you were doing was pissing me off. So I did drive as slowly as I could down the middle of the street. As you continued to honk and gesticulate I was grew more and more amused at how you could get increasingly pissed off for losing 30 seconds on your commute and I drove even slower.

Relax. You'll live longer and you'll get where you're going faster.

No there was not enough room for me to pass between the parked car and the garbage truck. Yes, I heard you honk the first time, so I moved up a little bit to let you know I was paying attention. As you continued to honk, there was still not enough room. When there was enough room for me to proceed, I did so. As I went slowly over the speed bump and you honked again all you were doing was pissing me off. So I did drive as slowly as I could down the middle of the street. As you continued to honk and gesticulate I was grew more and more amused at how you could get increasingly pissed off for losing 30 seconds on your commute and I drove even slower.

Good move on your part! I'm sure she shortened her life with all that rage over 15 or 30 seconds of delay.

Here in NJ, we have a unit of time called a honk-a-second. It's shorter than a nanosecond, and describes the time between a light turning green, and the driver behind you hitting the horn.

Given all the folks who routinely run red lights, moving immediately on green is a life threatening activity in many places

Last time I was in this situation, I used the same tactic. It's incredibly satisfying.

Here in NJ, we have a unit of time called a honk-a-second. It's shorter than a nanosecond, and describes the time between a light turning green, and the driver behind you hitting the horn.

Given all the folks who routinely run red lights, moving immediately on green is a life threatening activity in many places

The downside to not honking is that the person at the head of the line is often on a cell phone & not watching the light. By the time you've exercised due patience & realized that the driver isn't going to move until you honk, the delay usually means that the rude person in front of you makes it through while you lose the green light.

Jersey roads can be stressful no matter what you do, there's no getting around it. Only the strong survive. :cool: