Here in NJ, we have a unit of time called a honk-a-second. It's shorter than a nanosecond, and describes the time between a light turning green, and the driver behind you hitting the horn.

Given all the folks who routinely run red lights, moving immediately on green is a life threatening activity in many places

The downside to not honking is that the person at the head of the line is often on a cell phone & not watching the light. By the time you've exercised due patience & realized that the driver isn't going to move until you honk, the delay usually means that the rude person in front of you makes it through while you lose the green light.

Jersey roads can be stressful no matter what you do, there's no getting around it. Only the strong survive. :cool:

Invariably, here.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes in life, you come across a situation, and you just want to yell, "Hey! Asshole!"   And not just when reading food boards.   I'm on an airplane and there's this gunner-kid next to me.

Yeah, the "Mister Asshole to you" was a dead giveaway. That's why I'm wondering why I ever thought otherwise. I better get the testosterone detector on my DSL checked.

Hey Asshole!   Cover your mouth when you cough repeatedly while sitting/standing/exercising near me. Thank you.

The downside to not honking is that the person at the head of the line is often on a cell phone & not watching the light. By the time you've exercised due patience & realized that the driver isn't going to move until you honk, the delay usually means that the rude person in front of you makes it through while you lose the green light.

I've learned to fight the urge to beep after a second or two. Instead I count to five, then give a very brief tap of the horn. While I'm sure the other driver doesn't love me for it I've never had anyone show any resentment. And sometimes, I'm the one who gets beeped because my attention wanders.

I've learned to fight the urge to beep after a second or two. Instead I count to five, then give a very brief tap of the horn. While I'm sure the other driver doesn't love me for it I've never had anyone show any resentment. And sometimes, I'm the one who gets beeped because my attention wanders.

Mostly, that's my practice too. But sometimes I just get too pissed off, & then it's either honk or ram. Mostly, I opt for the honk.

Mostly, that's my practice too. But sometimes I just get too pissed off, & then it's either honk or ram. Mostly, I opt for the honk.

But I like to fantasize being in some ginormous urban assault vehicle equipped with various kinds of weaponry.

But I like to fantasize being in some ginormous urban assault vehicle equipped with various kinds of weaponry.

Giant SUV with all tinted windows, gun ports, over sized bumpers, etc? We have some of them around here. People rarely honk at them, however...

Several years ago I was taking one of my kids to a school field trip very early in the morning. There wasn't a safe opening to pull in to traffic from the side street we were on. It was dark and a little rainy so visibility was low. I wasn't taking chances. The person behind me didn't appreciate my caution. He honked. Then honked again. Then revved his engine and eased up on my bumper. At that point I'd had enough so I got out of my car to go back and tell him to ease up a little and that I'd pull out when it was safe. I'd forgotten a few things: A) I'm not a small guy; B) It was about six in the morning and I had very weird bed head; C) I hadn't shaved in a couple of days; D) I was wearing a t-shirt, which meant that the large tattoos on the inside of each forearm were clearly visible. In other words, the "escaped convict" vibe was pretty strong. I got a glimpse of a pasty, panicked expression as the car roared around me, trailing what I'm pretty sure was the smell of soiled seat covers along with the gasoline fumes. At first I was angry but later found it very funny. I can only assume that he didn't honk at anyone for a while after that.

While on the subject of SUVs, yes I have one. I'm an athletic 6'2" and don't really fit into a mid size truck much less a compact. And yes, it may not get the best gas mileage. So, at a large birthday party one time, some uber-green person choose to chastise me for my choice of environmentally unfriendly choice of conveyance. After a few nods and "you're probably right"s - the diatribe continued (maybe fueled by wine) So, having enough, I asked "so the major problem is how much fossil fuel I consume" to which she agreed. I asked her what she drove - Honda Civic, and asked he how many miles a year she drove - 30-35k. Well I said, "Seeing as how I work pretty close to my house, I drive about 8k miles a year, at even 10 mpg makes for 800 gallons a year I use. With your 30k at a liberal 30 mpg, that puts you at 1000 gallons, so whose the big gas consumer now? Boy, I bet you feel like an asshole now"

The asshole is this case is probably me, but that's how I like it sometimes.

I used to think I’d never give in to a big gas guzzler. Sucks for the environment, costs a fortune to fuel. You know the typical sentiments that its simply unnecessary. Then the baby came. I never really drove very defensively until then and with the countless ignorant and inconsiderate asshole cell phone/texters veering in and out of my lane, I was avoiding accidents way too often.

We didn’t feel safe driving her around NYC in the midsize. I thought fuck it, if everyone else is driving a tank, and badly at that, I’m getting one too. I bought a big red Town and Country. (We call it Elmo). We don’t use it much which is some consolation.

I thought fuck it, if everyone else is driving a tank, and badly at that, I’m getting one too.

This is how they spread, one driver at a time.

We'll be getting a new car this year, & I am on the fence between a Honda Fit & something more powerful, for defensive driving reasons. I wouldn't be comfortable driving a tank, but there's something to be said for having the hp to get yourself out of situations.

I thought fuck it, if everyone else is driving a tank, and badly at that, I’m getting one too.

We'll be getting a new car this year, & I am on the fence between a Honda Fit & something more powerful, for defensive driving reasons. I wouldn't be comfortable driving a tank, but there's something to be said for having the hp to get yourself out of situations.

How about a CRV or a RAV4?

Check with GG Mora: she has a Honda Fit (or had the last time we saw her).

If its the only way to keep my family safe I happily join the club

Honda Fit's Crash Test 4/13/2009

Honda's subcompact Fit four-door is yet another small car that performs well in standard crash tests while faring poorly in a crash with a larger, heavier car, in this case a Honda Accord sedan.

Don't hit a car bigger than yours

How about a CRV or a RAV4?

Thought about those but seem a little too SUV-ish for my tastes. I like the Mazda 3 Hatchback a bit better. Not quite as much power, but more than my current Civic or the Fit.

The location of my Honda dealer's service dept & the ease of getting stuff done there is a big incentive for me to stick with Honda tho. They've kept my Civic running nicely for 19 years.