Or walk around in bare feet at the TSA airline check point.

I dunno, is any of this stuff less disgusting than holding onto a subway pole?

i watched a police officer hold onto the pole with a washcloth then wipe her face with it. i told her that's not a great idea (and she shot me). she told me she wasn't "worried because the stainless steel is antibacterial". i told her the gobs of snot and spit are not canceled out by the pole but at least consider not washing that cloth with the rest of her clothes or her family's clothes. she said she'd think about. i hoped to save a life that day because "blue lives matter" but she probably got pinkeye or the plague

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes in life, you come across a situation, and you just want to yell, "Hey! Asshole!"   And not just when reading food boards.   I'm on an airplane and there's this gunner-kid next to me.

Yeah, the "Mister Asshole to you" was a dead giveaway. That's why I'm wondering why I ever thought otherwise. I better get the testosterone detector on my DSL checked.

Hey Asshole!   Cover your mouth when you cough repeatedly while sitting/standing/exercising near me. Thank you.

Or walk around in bare feet at the TSA airline check point.

I dunno, is any of this stuff less disgusting than holding onto a subway pole?

i watched a police officer hold onto the pole with a washcloth then wipe her face with it. i told her that's not a great idea (and she shot me). she told me she wasn't "worried because the stainless steel is antibacterial". i told her the gobs of snot and spit are not canceled out by the pole but at least consider not washing that cloth with the rest of her clothes or her family's clothes. she said she'd think about. i hoped to save a life that day because "blue lives matter" but she probably got pinkeye or the plague

That's a staple of NY television ratings wars. Some college runs medical cultures on subway poles, doors to Grand Central Terminal, and various other public places. They come up with an amazing number of tropical etc diseases.

None of which survive for very long because the conditions necessary for their propagation aren't there. Of course, if you touch that pole/door right after those pathogens were deposited, and then practice poor enough hygiene as to immediately bring your hand to your mouth/nose/eyes/genitals, sure, you could introduce the pathogen(s) into your system. And in that case, you are probably just as guilty of spreading your own pathogens to other people, so why should we have sympathy for you?

this is something I was never privy to before.. We have a few male single bartenders who are the sweetest guys. The sort of cocky, womanizing reputation most bartenders have, does not apply with our staff. I am wanting to say, they are among the most sensitive and considerate people I know. This has happened to three of them, so, it must be some strange phenomenon.. They date a girl, they think it is going fine and wouldn't you know it, the girl comes into the bar, with a date. My immediate response to the rattled and confused bartender is, "do you want me to kick them out." Which fortunately, they never ask me to do..

But, I don't know, i was never really a dater. And I have no idea what dating is like with tindr and grindr and craig's list and the Ok Cupids of the world but, I could tell you, I am not that easy/breezy.

Are these people assholes? Are they unaware? Are they trying to send a message like "shit or get off the pot" Is it a game, or are they just completely oblivious to the world..

Why would anyone want to eat carrot ice cream?

I say the same thing about carrot cake...then again, I only order the vanilla or chocolate stuff here.

But pretty gross though. I see 'normal' people going from using the screens with their fingers--then digging into whatever they grab from the snack basket. Back and forth. And then licking those same fingers thoroughly to get the last little bit of crumbs. blech. Footy goodness (or heaven knows what) free of charge.

Wait - doesn't everyone carry alcohol wipes and the first thing you do when you get seated is disinfect the whole area? Armrests, screens, trays, etc.?

We all have different sensitivities. This takes me back to the burger cook behind the bar at Black Door (years ago). He was assembling plates of burgers and fries with his bare hands. Every time he had a break, he would run his hands up and down the bar--kind of a nervous habit, I guess--then go back to making the food. Then he went to the bathroom, and went back to making the food. All with bare hands.

• Like 1

Why would anyone want to eat carrot ice cream?

I say the same thing about carrot cake...then again, I only order the vanilla or chocolate stuff here.

But pretty gross though. I see 'normal' people going from using the screens with their fingers--then digging into whatever they grab from the snack basket. Back and forth. And then licking those same fingers thoroughly to get the last little bit of crumbs. blech. Footy goodness (or heaven knows what) free of charge.

Wait - doesn't everyone carry alcohol wipes and the first thing you do when you get seated is disinfect the whole area? Armrests, screens, trays, etc.?

I don't...but probably should, considering how much time I spend in airplanes. I use the hot towel on the tray tables. I no longer look at it when I'm done after seeing some really nasty results :ph43r: .

this is something I was never privy to before.. We have a few male single bartenders who are the sweetest guys. The sort of cocky, womanizing reputation most bartenders have, does not apply with our staff. I am wanting to say, they are among the most sensitive and considerate people I know. This has happened to three of them, so, it must be some strange phenomenon.. They date a girl, they think it is going fine and wouldn't you know it, the girl comes into the bar, with a date. My immediate response to the rattled and confused bartender is, "do you want me to kick them out." Which fortunately, they never ask me to do..

But, I don't know, i was never really a dater. And I have no idea what dating is like with tindr and grindr and craig's list and the Ok Cupids of the world but, I could tell you, I am not that easy/breezy.

Are these people assholes? Are they unaware? Are they trying to send a message like "shit or get off the pot" Is it a game, or are they just completely oblivious to the world..

I would offer the girl and her date the "bartender's choice".

• 3 weeks later...

The TV weathercasters who think mentioning hurricane Sandy while doing their hurricane Hermine forecasts adds spice. Unless you say "Hermine is not remotely like Sandy" you are engaging in the worst kind of ratings pandering. Shameless.

The TV weathercasters who think mentioning hurricane Sandy while doing their hurricane Hermine forecasts adds spice. Unless you say "Hermine is not remotely like Sandy" you are engaging in the worst kind of ratings pandering. Shameless.

If it bleeds, it leads.

That said, I channel surfed yesterday evening to get the latest.

ABC: Probably not going to see much rain in western and northern NJ, Hudson Valley, etc. Looks to me like the storm will pound southern NJ, maybe Ocean County, then cross the ocean to Suffolk County. I'd say there's a 50-50 chance we'll just see showers in the city on Sunday

NBC: This could be a huge weather maker, could be a lot of rain. A shift of just a few miles in the track of this storm could put three inches of rain on Manhattan. Which says indirectly Manhattan may not see much rain.

Flip a coin, probably about as accurate.

It's an odd weather forecast. For Monday, NOAA has:

Tropical storm conditions expected. Rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 77. North wind 31 to 36 mph, with gusts as high as 46 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

In other words, the "tropical" "storm" conditions will consist of the coolest day in weeks with a quarter inch or less of rain. Windy, I guess.