This happened a few weeks back, but y'all will love it.

Going through old drawers, I find an old wristwatch which had stopped. I took it to town for batteries.

Little watch repair store off Sixth Avenue I'd used before. I was headed to a meeting, but this was a two minute thing.

Guy opens watch up. Says it needs some cleaning. Sure, why not, maybe I need to tip. After 20 minutes I inquire. "Nearly finished."

Waiting, waiting. " I need to leave."

Okay, it's done. He now tells me he had to replace parts, and writes (yes writes) a bill for $90.

I asked for a battery.

"The problem wasn't the battery."

Now you tell me. So just take your new part out and we're done.

Can you imagine how long it would take to remove the part he'd chosen to insert?

I got my watch back by showing him I was calling the police to report a theft.

And having remembered this I must look him up on Yelp (because that thread about Zimmern reminded me).

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes in life, you come across a situation, and you just want to yell, "Hey! Asshole!"   And not just when reading food boards.   I'm on an airplane and there's this gunner-kid next to me.

Yeah, the "Mister Asshole to you" was a dead giveaway. That's why I'm wondering why I ever thought otherwise. I better get the testosterone detector on my DSL checked.

Hey Asshole!   Cover your mouth when you cough repeatedly while sitting/standing/exercising near me. Thank you.

Many decades ago, my Down East bred father drilled into me that you never leave something to be repaired without a firm estimate of the charges, else the repair person owns the item because it is not worth redeeming.

I have been clearing out the house and hoping to reduce the amount of crap everwhere by at least 30% due to the possibility of a major move overseas. I have found that selling stuff on Facebook Marketplace has been rather successful.

Except for the assholes who think it is a good idea to ping me, ask a bunch of questions, say they want to come by to buy what I am selling, ask for my address and a time, and then not show up. How is this okay?

Since I'm ranting....

A special shout out to the handyman who did not want to send me proof of liability insurance, but did when I told him he could not have the work without it. In the end, he did not show up or call to tell me why.

And to Home Depot... Thanks for offering in store pickup. However, not having my order ready 2 hours later and making me wait for 30 more minutes in the store? I could have done it myself and been out of there in 15 minutes. Thanks for wasting my time!

I would worry about people getting my address, knowing that I have stuff I want get rid of. Sounds like they could show up as some other time with the intention of getting the stuff, but not by buying it, if you know what I mean. I hope FB Marketplace has some kind of protections built in to vet potential "buyers."

I fucking hate Home Depot. The kitchen faucet I got there for my kitchen renovation, which I had to replace because it was uninstallable, is on the fritz just past the warranty. I will buy just the part I need (which I'm pretty sure a nearby plumbing supply house will have) and install it myself.

I would worry about people getting my address, knowing that I have stuff I want get rid of. Sounds like they could show up as some other time with the intention of getting the stuff, but not by buying it, if you know what I mean. I hope FB Marketplace has some kind of protections built in to vet potential "buyers."

I fucking hate Home Depot. The kitchen faucet I got there for my kitchen renovation, which I had to replace because it was uninstallable, is on the fritz just past the warranty. I will buy just the part I need (which I'm pretty sure a nearby plumbing supply house will have) and install it myself.

One of the things I like about selling through Facebook is that all of the transactions go through their messenger app. This speeds up conversations and allows me to view the other person's profile. If it looks like a fake account, then I don't write back. Besides, I'm selling excess baby clothes and products, second hand furniture, and old kitchen appliances. There is nothing up that would attract the attention of a thief to think I was a worthy target.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

In the "hey asshole" theme. A motorist was stopped for driving with a suspended license, and handed over some crack. The deputies loaded her in the patrol car for transport.

On the way to jail, Zachman started squirming.

Asked whether she had anything else, Zachman fessed up to having a pipe and a “rig,” or hypodermic needle, in the cheeks of her buttocks.

Investigators got to the bottom of things, recovering two hypodermic needles and a cocaine-smoking pipe.

more:

http://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/blogs/off-the-beat/2017/10/18/woman-gives-cheeky-response-stuart-traffic-stop/745784001/

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter and some of her classmates have been volunteering time on Sundays to help out with a flag football program for kids at the 14th St Y. They are required to complete hours of internship by the school, but not necessarily at the weekend, and it is unpaid volunteering

One of the adults running the program has not been nice to them in general. It turns out he has been calling them "the jabronis." Not being dumb, they looked it up.

Whether he knows it or not, it's wrestling slang for someone useless, and a play on the Italian "jabone" (asshole). These are teenagers volunteering their time. He is going to be reported.

I would quite like to meet him.

The social service agency where I volunteer has classes for volunteers which go into some depth about appropriate contact / speech etc with service clients and other volunteers or employees. It can be amazing how some folks have zero social grace or sense of the appropriate.

I remember when you could say "Jaboni" and people would just think it's funny.

People are just looking to be offended nowadays.

ETA: NOTE TO MODERATORS WHO HAVE TROUBLE TELLING WHEN WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS ARE SARCASTIC: This post is sarcastic. Got it? Sarcastic.