2012 Summer Olympics

No one can ever understand the feeling of the 1980 US Hockey team again - shame on you Olympics for stealing the joy from what once was sport.

As for the cowboys - thought western movies and TV programs were no longer in vogue???

Yeah. :(

Now, are you saying Jerry Jones is not in? You obviously didn't see him on a recent Dallas episode.

Oh, Jones is certainly in(sane).

See, he tries to keep the professionalism out of the NFL.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truly believe it is meaningless since the participants are pros. That's all they do all year, all the time. 12-year-olds skating 7 hours a day, seven days a week - really???

Nationalism is one thing, taking out dual-ctitizenship to compete in the games is another. It's all about money, similar to out political campaigns and elections. No one can ever understand the feeling of the 1980 US Hockey team again - shame on you Olympics for stealing the joy from what once was sport.

As for the cowboys - thought western movies and TV programs were no longer in vogue???

They've been de facto pros for decades - since before 1980. Amateurism was a myth and a harmful one to many countries. The ultimate result of professionalism has been athletic excellence. Of course, I love the Olympics, though, my dear, what a corrupt, corporate, and generally ugly organization the IOC is.

Truly believe it is meaningless since the participants are pros. That's all they do all year, all the time. 12-year-olds skating 7 hours a day, seven days a week - really???

Nationalism is one thing, taking out dual-ctitizenship to compete in the games is another. It's all about money, similar to out political campaigns and elections. No one can ever understand the feeling of the 1980 US Hockey team again - shame on you Olympics for stealing the joy from what once was sport.

They've been de facto pros for decades - since before 1980. Amateurism was a myth and a harmful one to many countries. The ultimate result of professionalism has been athletic excellence. Of course, I love the Olympics, though, my dear, what a corrupt, corporate, and generally ugly organization the IOC is.

Some countries were pros before 1980 - and what made it fun was having the amateurs defeat them (at least once in a while).

Amateurism was no myth prior to TV getting in the way. But the publicity, money, notoriety, money, advertising, money, instant gratification, money and don't forget money, made it impossible for any nation to remain amateur.

Do I really need to watch the USA (read NBA All-Star) basketball team compete against Angola? The answer is a resounding no.

I'm streaming the USA/Brazil women's volleyball match. I can't figure out how the front line/blockers in volleyball aren't constantly suffering from hyper-extended fingers.

Oddly, someone was telling me only yesterday, that her phys ed teacher gave the class special instructions on how to hold their hands to try to limit the number of finger fractures, etc. There's some science to it apparently.

Do I really need to watch the USA (read NBA All-Star) basketball team compete against Angola? The answer is a resounding no.

But you had the same problem before (it just wasn't the US dominating). Anyway, the dream team is fun because where else do you see basketball like that? Basketball isn't even a great Olympic sport. Do you think the records we see in track and field, swimming, or the incredible progression in gymnastics, diving, etc. would be possible without professionalism? If we want to see athletic excellence, we need professionalism.

It's good to see that Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings are traditionalists when it comes to their uniforms.

With bikinis now being worn for most women's track events, it would seem a pity to get over-dressed for beach volleyball.

If we want to see athletic excellence, we need professionalism.

Obviously, they got you to drink the Kool-Aid. :lol:

hahaha. I hate half the rules and the IOC (it's really an awful organization), but the truth is that true athletic excellence is impossible without professionalism.

It's good to see that Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings are traditionalists when it comes to their uniforms.

With bikinis now being worn for most women's track events, it would seem a pity to get over-dressed for beach volleyball.

I like that Brazil's women volleyballers have tops that are emblazoned BRA. Very patriotic.