2012 Summer Olympics

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Olympics were fun when amateurs participated. Haven't watched an event since 1980 (and I worked for ABC Sports and still didn't watch)- no reason to start now.

That was last in what 1904? I'm serious. (except they were all personally wealthy then)

Truly believe it is meaningless since the participants are pros. That's all they do all year, all the time. 12-year-olds skating 7 hours a day, seven days a week - really???

Nationalism is one thing, taking out dual-ctitizenship to compete in the games is another. It's all about money, similar to out political campaigns and elections. No one can ever understand the feeling of the 1980 US Hockey team again - shame on you Olympics for stealing the joy from what once was sport.

As for the cowboys - thought western movies and TV programs were no longer in vogue???

They've been de facto pros for decades - since before 1980. Amateurism was a myth and a harmful one to many countries. The ultimate result of professionalism has been athletic excellence. Of course, I love the Olympics, though, my dear, what a corrupt, corporate, and generally ugly organization the IOC is.

agreed on all counts.

Olympics were fun when amateurs participated. Haven't watched an event since 1980 (and I worked for ABC Sports and still didn't watch)- no reason to start now.

That was last in what 1904? I'm serious. (except they were all personally wealthy then)

If you really believe what you wrote, it's time to go back to the history books.

Before you comment, look up the athletes who participated in the 20', 30's, 40's and 50's. If any of them made money it was after their performances. There were no sponsors, no year-round training programs. All had jobs, except for the very wealthy - and the vast majority of those were in the equestrian events.

The lucky ones did cash-in after the games, but they were few and far between. Jim Thorpe and Esther Williams are two of the exceptions that prove the rule. Jesse Owens managed to get a tryout with the old NFL Brooklyn Dodgers, but he couldn't catch.

Hey, even pro baseball players had to get off-season jobs until the early 70's.

If you really believe what you wrote, it's time to go back to the history books.

Before you comment, look up the athletes who participated in the 20', 30's, 40's and 50's. If any of them made money it was after their performances. There were no sponsors, no year-round training programs. All had jobs, except for the very wealthy - and the vast majority of those were in the equestrian events.

The lucky ones did cash-in after the games, but they were few and far between. Jim Thorpe and Esther Williams are two of the exceptions that prove the rule. Jesse Owens managed to get a tryout with the old NFL Brooklyn Dodgers, but he couldn't catch.

Thorpe got stripped of his medals because he played semi-pro baseball briefly and got the medals reinstated posthumously. Classy. Athletes were generally wealthier back then and, once you get communism, you get state-sponsored amateurs. So if not 1904 then maybe 1948.

Thorpe got stripped of his medals because he played semi-pro baseball briefly and got the medals reinstated posthumously. Classy. Athletes were generally wealthier back then and, once you get communism, you get state-sponsored amateurs. So if not 1904 then maybe 1948.

Accurate, except it took the Soviets until 1956 to field their professional hockey team (and they won the gold). By the time the 1960's rolled around a couple of other nations were getting involved. The United States lasted longer than most, but the '76 basketball loss was the beginning of the end. By 1984, the Olympics were purely professional.

The 1980 US Hockey team was the last amateur team to win gold in a major Olympic event. (And by then, only the US and Canada fielded amateur teams.)

actually, it really was the personally wealthy up through the 40's...except for those that raised local sponsorships (i.e. most U.S. rowers were from the Ivies but a notable 1936 crew was from the west coast and relied upon local civic subscriptions to pay their way). the change began as early as the 40's and 50's...the Soviet bloc athletes were all pros...and the western world gradually responded.

of course, part of the issue is that I don't count athletes on full college rides as amateurs.

and "pro" can be a wide gamut..I'll give you that. For a long long time, distance running has had many pros but few wealthy. Only about the top 10 distance runners in the U.S. make anything close to six figures (though all probably less) (sprinters make more but the basic point holds true for them too)...but there's another block of about 40 distance runners who have very little income but basically receive room and board to run full-time (a mixture of running shoe sponsorships and various running clubs (run by running stores) who provide training, food, spending money and a group house in return for the runner training full-time and working shifts at the running store). in other less lucrative fields the story is similar and has been for a long time (i.e. athletes working as personal trainers -- is that really an amateur? they're clearly leveraging their feats to generate income)...

Accurate, except it took the Soviets until 1956 to field their professional hockey team (and they won the gold). By the time the 1960's rolled around a couple of other nations were getting involved. The United States lasted longer than most, but the '76 basketball loss was the beginning of the end. By 1984, the Olympics were purely professional.

The 1980 US Hockey team was the last amateur team to win gold in a major Olympic event. (And by then, only the US and Canada fielded amateur teams.)

again, I don't consider college full-scholarship athletes to be amateurs.

but leaving that aside -- plenty of the 1936 German athletes had their training as pretty much their full-time job.

of course, part of the issue is that I don't count athletes on full college rides as amateurs.

Don't tell the NCAA that and especially not those Happy Valley administrators. :ph43r:

By the way, I happen to agree with that statement, especially during the last 40+ years or so.

plenty of the 1936 German athletes had their training as pretty much their full-time job.

Truth be told they were military who had extended training in order to defeat the "inferior races". Didn't work then, but did work when the Soviets made their military train year-round for Olympic sports.

Should add that I received a baseball scholarship from St. John's - just for full disclosure. And believe me, I was an amateur.

That's awesome. Rich for best athlete of MF?

Yeah - Sneakeater and I will compete in a 100-yard dash to determine the winner.