2012 Summer Olympics

Should add that I received a baseball scholarship from St. John's - just for full disclosure. And believe me, I was an amateur.

That's awesome. Rich for best athlete of MF?

There are other potential candidates. <_<

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amateurism was no myth prior to TV getting in the way. But the publicity, money, notoriety, money, advertising, money, instant gratification, money and don't forget money, made it impossible for any nation to remain amateur.

Anyone remember when the winter and summer olympics were held in the same year? Ever wonder why they decided to alternate it every two years?

Should add that I received a baseball scholarship from St. John's - just for full disclosure. And believe me, I was an amateur.

You've got DI baseball scholarship beat? What kind of food board is this?

Amateurism was no myth prior to TV getting in the way. But the publicity, money, notoriety, money, advertising, money, instant gratification, money and don't forget money, made it impossible for any nation to remain amateur.

Anyone remember when the winter and summer olympics were held in the same year? Ever wonder why they decided to alternate it every two years?

Presumably the logistics for the IOC and probably the ratings (avoiding saturation) are much better with the alternate calendar. It switched in the 92-96 timeframe I believe.

You've got DI baseball scholarship beat? What kind of food board is this?

Yep. In real life, I'm actually one of his horses.

Presumably the logistics for the IOC and probably the ratings (avoiding saturation) are much better with the alternate calendar. It switched in the 92-96 timeframe I believe.

That and the networks found it too difficult to prepare for both Olympics in the same year. The logistics for televising the event is mind numbing. The first request to split them was a joint memo by ABC and NBC Sports.

should also add that I take back what I said about the women's gymnastics team not liking each other. think there might have been too much reading of teenagers' facial expressions considering the nerves of the first day of Olympic competition. they looked pretty unified yesterday and you could hear them shouting encouragement to whomever was performing on the audio.

The United States lasted longer than most

When did athletic scholarships become common ? A lot earlier in the US than Europe, where they still don't exist.

Cross-posted with Nathan.

Sports scholarships really began to take hold in the early 50's. Before that it was rare. Most athletes were are "academic" scholarships.

But what I meant about the US lasting longer than most was sending true professional athletes to the games. Before 1984, the US would send mostly college kids for things like basketball and hockey (same for Canada and Australia). By that time most of Europe, especially the eastern bloc, was sending fully adult athletes who trained year-round and were paid, housed and disguised as military personnel.

The United States lasted longer than most

When did athletic scholarships become common ? A lot earlier in the US than Europe, where they still don't exist.

Cross-posted with Nathan.

Sports scholarships really began to take hold in the early 50's. Before that it was rare. Most athletes were are "academic" scholarships.

But what I meant about the US lasting longer than most was sending true professional athletes to the games. Before 1984, the US would send mostly college kids for things like basketball and hockey (same for Canada and Australia). By that time most of Europe, especially the eastern bloc, was sending fully adult athletes who trained year-round and were paid, housed and disguised as military personnel.

This is true enough...but it was more or less my original point :)

Tennis is a sport? :P

By that time most of Europe, especially the eastern bloc,

Apart form the Eastern block, which European countries were sending effectively professional athletes?

I'll give you a clue. None.

We're talking 70's here - Norway, Sweden, Finland, Austria, West Germany and to a lesser extent France, Italy and Spain. Worked on four Olympics - 76, 80 (both), 84. During the bio/research stage it was clear who was state sponsored and who wasn't. I'm not saying all athletes were pros, but the numbers increased for each country as the years progressed. By '84 it was all pros all the time.