The Kitchen Project, Parts I & II

Back in January or so, it was decided that I would build myself new kitchen cabinets. I estimated three months for the job. It is now mid-August and the end is in sight. And significantly over budget.

The original kitchen.

7532472378_9d2e855ca5_z.jpg

Yeah, it's kind of yellowish and greenish. And that is a speckly white laminate countertop.

Torn out:

7784091528_7324c1dc3d_z.jpg

7455069290_26a1c2b3ed_z.jpg

And the uppers installed:

7784092548_06fc50579a_z.jpg

7532464434_7088e2b998_z.jpg

7784093508_74e4d1a414_z.jpg

The base cabinets:

7532457090_312f0a0240_z.jpg

7532461732_e75bfe3286_z.jpg

7532456374_5374f7b2fd_z.jpg

And a shelf I threw together instead of a cabinet, to open the kitchen a little:

7784159778_f40b92f863_z.jpg

I priced out various options for a countertop, and everything was ridiculous for this crappy little kitchen. So I went with a top from Perfect Plank in California. I was able to get the entire countertop, raw, delivered for $470. Of course, I had to cut it down, glue a piece onto the main run, cut out the hole for the sink, drill holes for the faucet, etc. and finish it. The countertop is alder. If I were doing this again, I'd go for maple, which is a little more money, but a much harder wood:

7625143966_183b76a976_z.jpg

7625143764_7e80e78e8a_z.jpg

7624633454_eac296a44d_z.jpg

7624556810_16ab855f81_z.jpg

Install it and hookup the faucets etc. (I did hire a plumber to make the re-do the connections):

7624551694_eb6507eb1f_z.jpg

7773121530_62a2b83e3e_z.jpg

7773120252_044602316d_z.jpg

You like that sink? Yeah, you better. $700 for a fucking sink.

I finished the last base cabinet this weekend. It took three tries. Because 18" minus 1.5" is not 17.5". Trust me. It's not.

Now onto the drawers.

And for those who are curious, by far the most expensive part of the project, other than that fucking sink, is the hardware. The nice, Euro hinges and drawer slides cost a fortune.

Looks great. I'm envious of your Festool circular saw. And those clamps.

I'm curious: why didn't you mitre the counter top to make the turn?

You mean so that the two pieces met at 45* in the back corner? Mostly because I was told that the end grain to end grain joint wouldn't have been much stronger, there was more opportunity to screw up and I'd have more waste to pay for.

The Festool is great. I was using a shop made guide with an old DeWalt CS and it just wasn't cutting it. I bit the bullet and got the Festool. Cutting down sheets of ply is so much easier now. (I throw down some hard foam insulation I got from Home Depot and cut on my assembly table instead of the saw.) Dust collection with a Ridid shop vac is great as well. I'm trolling Craigslist for other Festool gizmos. They're not cheap.

You mean so that the two pieces met at 45* in the back corner? Mostly because I was told that the end grain to end grain joint wouldn't have been much stronger, there was more opportunity to screw up and I'd have more waste to pay for.

The Festool is great. I was using a shop made guide with an old DeWalt CS and it just wasn't cutting it. I bit the bullet and got the Festool. Cutting down sheets of ply is so much easier now. (I throw down some hard foam insulation I got from Home Depot and cut on my assembly table instead of the saw.) Dust collection with a Ridid shop vac is great as well. I'm trolling Craigslist for other Festool gizmos. They're not cheap.

I recently bought a Festool jigsaw and I love it. Far better blade stability than any jigsaw I've ever used so cuts on thick stock are straight and accurate. Excellent dust collection/chip extraction when connected to a shop vac.

Now onto the drawers.

And for those who are curious, by far the most expensive part of the project, other than that fucking sink, is the hardware. The nice, Euro hinges and drawer slides cost a fortune.

Hardware is the worst, I've done a couple of kitchens in my time.

Once was lucky and found an old drafting cabinet that held large plans for Draftsmen, Architects, etc. My father was a commercial artist so I broke down all the drawers that had full length aluminum slides with urethane rollers. Worked like a charm on my custom drawers.

Reminded me when you say kitchen, the price triples.