Coming This Fall

Having my usual fun with the fall previews, from Beckett to cuckoos.

Totally disagree with your note about Manzanilla, I think you are missing the point - but who knows!

This is a modern cuisines tapas place, that is having a big success in Spain. Dani Garcia is teaming up with the Boqueria guys in his NY restaurant.

Some more details, in Spanish.

http://www.gastroeconomy.com/2012/06/12743/

I truly hope it's great. I know of Calima, but I've never been. I am just putting together a presumably absentee chef (how many restaurants does he have?), and a Park Avenue South location, and expressing some reservations. I see Boqueria's architect is involved; but, you know, I wouldn't be over-excited if Seamus Mullen was involved too.

Dani-Garcia-Manzanilla3-300x300.jpg

These things often don't work out. Be great if this is an exception.

I was prompted to look back at my previews for 2011 and 2010. Not much I'd rewrite about 2011 (Romera!), but I got some wrong in 2010. I was skeptical about Red Rooster (great place), and over the moon about The Dutch (dreadful).

Some of it's genius. :cool:

Shea Gallante, whose track record is pretty much limited to the (again ailing) Cru goes Italian too at Ciano. Not that it's Shea's fault, but this comes to you courtesy of the Philippe Chow fashion 'n' chop suey group. Owner Stratis Morfogen has his finger on the pulse though, telling the Times, "(W)hen the food is great there's no energy...Why can't a three star chef do meatballs?" That is what I would call thinking inside the envelope (so far inside that you have to poke about to see what's there).

I truly hope it's great. I know of Calima, but I've never been. I am just putting together a presumably absentee chef (how many restaurants does he have?), and a Park Avenue South location, and expressing some reservations. I see Boqueria's architect is involved; but, you know, I wouldn't be over-excited if Seamus Mullen was involved too.

Dani-Garcia-Manzanilla3-300x300.jpg

These things often don't work out. Be great if this is an exception.

Agree on the location, it is a weird area, he should have open in Brooklyn ;)

It will be interesting to look at these comments in 12 months.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Just to drop this somewhere it doesn't mess up a restaurant thread.... Talking about honoring the whole animal, or whatever, the Times piece on Amali today states:

The fish are line-caught by a Montauk fisherman; humanely raised, grass-fed steers are butchered in-house.

I am sure that's all fact-checked, not copied from a PR hand-out -- and we can assume the writer isn't using "butchered" to mean "slaughtered" -- so the question arises: Why?

On the menu I find one identifiable beef sausage, and one beef entree. Why on earth are they butchering "steers" in-house? Is the rest of the animal going to a local glue factory?

• 1 year later...