Sign in to follow this  
Suzanne F

Finishing oils

You know, as in olive oil with blood orange, superduperfancy olive oil, etc.

I bought some domestic butternut squash seed oil, thinking it would be lightly flavored, like Austrian pumpkinseed oil. Poured a couple of large glugs into a pan with grated potato and basmati rice. What I learned: that stuff is STRONG. :blink: Worked okay for cooking, but better to use as a finishing oil.

What finishing oils do you use?

I have a lobster oil in my fridge.. I made it this weekend.

Saffron, Orange, Mustard, also one brand of Rayu (not technically oil as it has bits of garlic and chili in it, not to mention lots and lots of MSG goodness)

i remember eating mustard oil on the uni panini at quinto pino.

I use regular old Indian mustard oil with the "not for internal use" label slapped on (stupid FDA :angry:) for cooking -- sautéing, deep-frying, tadka, etc. I never thought it had enough flavor to use as a finishing oil. But then I've never had the uni sandwich.:(

Use of white truffle oil in bagna cauda lost me a "Most Authentic" prize, but got me "Best in Show" so I don't feel so bad.

Anyway, I asked because other than using the blood orange, toasted sesame, and truffle oils for finishing, I mostly just use what I've got as an ingredient--walnut and hazelnut oils in salad dressing or mayo, for example. And I do use the sesame mixed with sunflower for cooking. But I need other ways to use them all besides orange on fish, truffle on risotto/mushroom dishes, and so on.

i remember eating mustard oil on the uni panini at quinto pino.

Works with any sweet seafood.

Also with beets, peas, anywhere you'd think horseradish or wasabi.

The brand I use is disturbingly called "Naturally from Nature" unsure.gif

aha. the classic bengali use for raw mustard oil is with mashed boiled potatoes (with minced onions and green chillies). but for that and other such uses you need highly pungent oil.

suzanne, most of the indian brands exported to the u.s are low on pungency. the best of the "easily available in the u.s" brands i've seen is dabur. however, in korean stores you can find small super-potent bottles of mustard oil (a blend with soybean oil, actually) that will take the top of your head off if you're not careful. they're little bottles with yellow labels and red caps.

Thanks for the info, but I'm fine just using it for cooking. If I want to clear sinuses, I've got a fridge door full of hot sauces.