Pouring Ribbons

Finding the list somewhat daunting, I asked the server what they could do that would be herbaceous and tart, include gin, but would not be sweet. She suggested a Last Word. Maybe other peoples' palates have been recalibrated, because while The Princess found it tart, I thought it too sweet. And told the server so. She offered to replace it with something else, but I thought maybe I'd warm to it, so not necessary; I ended up drinking most of it (well, it was herbaceous). They very graciously removed it from the bill, though.

Which is all to say: very nice place, and I wouldn't mind returning.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pouring Ribbons, a new bar from the Alchemy Consulting group, has quietly opened at 225 Avenue B, on the second floor.   No taxidermy, just a handsome, large-ish space (which would really be perfe

I thought it was a nice cocktail. It just made me realize that my definition of "sweet" seems to be different from other people's. Which is kind of sad for me, because it means I'm more likely to be disappointed.

The good part was now I know about Pouring Ribbons, which was delightfully civilized.

To me, The Last Word is the perfect cocktail.

(I don't say with the expectation that it has any importance to anyone other than me at all.)

I've never had a Last Word that I liked, though maybe I've never had a good one. The combination of gin and green chartreuse doesn't do anything for me.

I'm not a huge fan of Chartreuse, so obviously I avoid the Last Word.

It's kinda hard to fuck one up since it's equal parts everything. But certainly the gin used can change it dramatically (as well as the maraschino).

To me, The Last Word is the perfect cocktail.

(I don't say with the expectation that it has any importance to anyone other than me at all.)

You know what I think about it.

with that said the Final Ward, Pete's Word, and my Penultimate Word are all worthy variations. but the original wants nothing. it is ineffable

(the sweet/tart ratio is going to be lime juice and maraschino dependent of course)

A serious question of Serious Cocktail Bar etiquette: when faced with a situation in which the cocktail is presumably made correctly and therefore s/b in balance, but it is just not to my taste, is it rude/boorish to ask them to add more of the nonalcoholic element that I'd like? Could I have asked them to add a tad more lime juice? (I did outline my flavor preferences at the outset and was told a Last Word would satisfy them; except it didn't.) It's not like I would be challenging their expertise; merely asking for an adjustment.

I ask because when something similar happened at Compose, the remade drink was then so far toward the tart end of the spectrum, I got the feeling Eamon Rockey was punishing me for daring to make such a request.

Thanks for the help. I go for cocktails so rarely, I don't know the proper etiquette. And I'd rather not be banned for being disruptive.

Too tart when warm?? Really? I think that does indeed indicate that other people are less sensitive to sugar/more sensitive to tartness. Well, wouldn't be the first--or last--time I'm the outlier.

it actually makes sense for a drink to change as it warms up.....which is one of the reasons why good ice and smaller-sized drinks are important....(of course there's a value consideration with small sized drinks at bars or restaurants...but at home that's not an issue. Also see the way Pegu Club serves martinis...I've never seen that improved upon)

I spent last Thursday evening at Pegu, but didn't order a Martini; and in all my trips there, I don't know if I ever have!

(The new menu is out - and after our table shared a gift from Audrey, I went with one of her classics - the Little Italy).

They serve a Manhattan in two parts; maybe they do a Martini the same way. One part is the drink in your glass; the rest is served in a little carafe on the side on crushed ice. Two is all you need.

Daisy - have you tried an Old Pal? Might be right up your alley. Or a perfect or a dry Manhattan?