Le Fooding 2012

OMG, I forgot the lobster. It was only the best dish of the night.

I'll bet you're right.

ETA -- In keeping with the current trend of serving shellfish with grains (I have to say that Dave Santos was the first chef I recall doing this), the lobster was served with oats. But these oats were very highly spiced. It didn't just work: it worked with a bullet.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ETA -- In keeping with the current trend of serving shellfish with grains (I have to say that Dave Santos was the first chef I recall doing this), the lobster was served with oats. But these oats were very highly spiced. It didn't just work: it worked with a bullet.

I'll bet they were doing it in Sardinia a long time before DS rolleyes.gif .

Campfire Session

The 2012 Brooklyn Le Grand Fooding closed with a so-called Campfire Session on the Williamsburg Flea grounds. It featured a few high-profile and a bunch of the regular Flea bric-a-bracateers.

There was a $60 "standard" entry fee and a $100 "VIP" fee. In this case, it wasn't so much that the $100 fee was worth it than that without the "VIP" status it might not have been worth it at all. What the extra $40 got you was mainly a half-hour's early entry, so you could get the food before the large swarming lines formed. I don't think I could have tolerated this event if I had to wait on the lines.

The "VIP" fee also got you two cocktail tickets (everybody else had to pay cash), a champagne ticket, and entry to a "VIP" area run by The Fat Radish. This meant shorter drink lines. Also, The Fat Radish catered pass-around canapes (pretty good), and there were also plates from the food booths. (Interestingly, it appeared that right after the doors opened to the general public, the booths were sending over full portions for "VIPs" to buy with vouchers instead of going out and waiting on line. The voracious denizens of the "VIP" area instead swept the offerings up immediately, without presenting vouchers. Unable to regulate such voraciousness, the booths started sending over "free" tasting portions instead.) The "VIP" area extended to a row of canvas lounge chairs in front of the stage -- but anybody who sits on special chairs in a roped-off section at a pop concert deserves to be shot, IMO.

So the food. What does it say that, out of selections that included collaborations between Inaki Aizpitarte and Tom Mylan, Daniel Rose and Saul Bolton, Frederick Berselius and some fish taco place, and the Bermanoffs and The Young Turks, my favorite was the one made by Danny Bowien and Moto Pizza? Well, it could mean that I simply have bad taste. But I think it more likely (or at least additionally) means that, in a quick tasting of a series of small samples, the more assertive items will stand out over more subtle ones (just like at wine tastings). Anyway, the Kung Pao Pastrami pizza was a wow.

As indicated in a prior post, there was music. And fires. It was a fun event. (I'm never again going stag, though. It would be much better with company.)

Frankie Rose played an odd acoustic set at the Campfire Session last night.

Who was after that? Was it the guy from Miike Snow? If so, it was a lot darker.

Yeah, it was him.

I left during the set by the guy from Chromeo (as was evident).

Anyone know who was next? I heard rumors of a "special guest". They had originally promoted The Artist Formerly Known As Mos Def as playing there. But frankly, great as he is, one sees him so often in Brooklyn it's hard to get that excited.

Campfire Session

The 2012 Brooklyn Le Grand Fooding closed with a so-called Campfire Session on the Williamsburg Flea grounds. It featured a few high-profile and a bunch of the regular Flea bric-a-bracateers.

There was a $60 "standard" entry fee and a $100 "VIP" fee. In this case, it wasn't so much that the $100 fee was worth it than that without the "VIP" status it might not have been worth it at all. What the extra $40 got you was mainly a half-hour's early entry, so you could get the food before the large swarming lines formed. I don't think I could have tolerated this event if I had to wait on the lines.

The "VIP" fee also got you two cocktail tickets (everybody else had to pay cash), a champagne ticket, and entry to a "VIP" area run by The Fat Radish. This meant shorter drink lines. Also, The Fat Radish catered pass-around canapes (pretty good), and there were also plates from the food booths. (Interestingly, it appeared that right after the doors opened to the general public, the booths were sending over full portions for "VIPs" to buy with vouchers instead of going out and waiting on line. The voracious denizens of the "VIP" area instead swept the offerings up immediately, without presenting vouchers. Unable to regulate such voraciousness, the booths started sending over "free" tasting portions instead.) The "VIP" area extended to a row of canvas lounge chairs in front of the stage -- but anybody who sits on special chairs in a roped-off section at a pop concert deserves to be shot, IMO.

So the food. What does it say that, out of selections that included collaborations between Inaki Aizpitarte and Tom Mylan, Daniel Rose and Saul Bolton, Frederick Berselius and some fish taco place, and the Bermanoffs and The Young Turks, my favorite was the one made by Danny Bowien and Moto Pizza? Well, it could mean that I simply have bad taste. But I think it more likely (or at least additionally) means that, in a quick tasting of a series of small samples, the more assertive items will stand out over more subtle ones (just like at wine tastings). Anyway, the Kung Pao Pastrami pizza was a wow.

As indicated in a prior post, there was music. And fires. It was a fun event. (I'm never again going stag, though. It would be much better with company.)

Maybe someday they'll invite women to cook there too...

OMG, I forgot the lobster. It was only the best dish of the night.

I'll bet you're right.

I Had it wrong, just confirmed:

Blood pudding m wells

Rest of courses collab between Ignacio and turks