Sign in to follow this  
little ms foodie

Miami

Pier a Terre at the Cadet Hotel looks too good to be true at the advertised prices. Any intelligence?

Pier a Terre at the Cadet Hotel looks too good to be true

It's not .... and it is ... and it's Pied of course

It's not "too good" and it is "too good to be true" ... and it surely wasn't very good years ago ... but the Avionics Wiz liked it because he knows nothing about food and said "Chambo Chambo, you're going to be impressed " ... and we went ... and I said "Stick to the electromagnetic spectrum and other such things ... and let me focus on food in the future SVP"

It's civilized and you can have a conversation, so that's a plus ... it's big hunks of legit protein (for Miami) at pretty big prices cooked semi-acceptably kinda sorta but the plate accompaniments show minimal technique and don't taste like much .... blah blah blah ... I recall being on some semi-outside enclosed terrace too but I'm not sure ... if someone said they wanted to go there ... there are legit, adult reasons to possibly consider it from an ambiance perspective if you actually want to talk to other people ... but it's hard to recommend the place for a solo, that's for sure ... at least not for me

I was looking at Restaurant 27 at the Freehand, and it turns out someone is taking me there for dinner, so tick that off the list.

And are you suggesting that this tick of yours is an especially good thing ? or even a remotely good food thing ?

Now I’m not denying that there’s some serious wild poontang cock tail 🍸 ing it in the general vicinity but they’re Broken and Shaker-ing it and you already said you’re getting too much NYC action already so you’re probably not prepared to pay their price ... so what gives ?

I’m confused as all get out ... but then again. I’ve been drinking ... but who hasn’t been

And I’ve heard diddly about your Alter-ed states ... am I talking to myself ?

Cuz if I am I’ll keep it that way ... cuz what i do in Miami is barely legal in Vegas ... truth be told, it ain’t at all

Did I tell you I was at Sushi By Bou at the Versace Mansion? It is so precisely the way you would imagine it would be that it doesn't even need to exist, you can just dream it. 

As I write, I am sitting at the outdoor bar at Alter.

I liked Broken Shaker in Chicago. If the food at the 27 restaurant disappoints, at least I am ticking it off the list free.

Pardon me, but Chambo is right about the 27. I just looked at the menu. Not sure why I had considered it, but willing to admit to being confused.

Alter is the real deal, serious and precise work, I have never seen tweezers used so much: they adjust the angle of minuscule herbs embedded in foam, a degree to the left...

After I booked it switched to tasting menu only, so it’s also an expensive restaurant. But no misses in the meal, except for the Wagyu loin being boring like most slices of loin. Terrific mosaic of wahoo smeared with a ponzu-pistachio sauce; the signature egg dish, slow-cooked and buried in scallop spume. I had possibly the last foie tart of the season, which is now off menu. The grouper may have been the best dish, quality product.

A gulp of complimentary Mumm is never a bad start, and encourages a diner to spend. BTG prices were good.

Casual modern Cuban on the Lincoln Road mall, Yuca. Big, busy, lovely service. Stuffed peppers and masas de puerco.

I was drinking a high-priced martini at The Setai when the bartender told me to get over to the far end of 20th Street, where there’s a bunch of restaurants and bars local residents actually use. So I am at Bay Club, which I would describe as “chill.” Service is so pleasant everywhere.

Right, the only problem is those restaurants generally aren't very good.

Right, the only problem is those restaurants generally aren't very good.

Oh, not food destinations, but useful if you want to spend a couple of hours away from tourists (and spend less than $11 on a beer).

I am imprisoned in the vast Fontainebleau. Like a Vegas resort, getting outside is a project, and unlike Vegas there's nothing in walking distance when you do.

Not sure about the current season but the Fontainebleau on weekends in winter (Sunday?) throws some CRAZY hip hop DJ parties with 1000s present and playing in various pools ... 1000s of unbelievable shapes and sizes and suggestive skin showing like you would NOT believe and you’d be one of the few, but welcome, whities